Friend is looking at a 05 explorer

Craig

Coil packs, front suspension, rear suspension, maintenance on differentials and transfer case, 4 matching tires, 105K service is coming up which is a major service generally for Ford. Also take a look at the dipstick for frequent oil changes, have seen some with timing chain issues if it has not been taken care of.

we have an '05 with 55k miles and its a piece of shit. its a 4wd eddie bauer with the 4.6 liter. we've replaced the coil packs, 4 rusted out calipers, pass. side window motor 3 times, shorted out starter, oxygen sensors, and the rear plastic panel below the glass is well-known to crack. just minor irritating shit, nothing real major i guess. still have the stock tires. its slow as balls

I'll just throw my .02 in. I have an 04 Exploder and everything Kirk said is pretty spot on. Minor shit is common, and the trannys have issues from what I have found. I have been lucky with mine, but it is only a matter of time...

Pony up for an expedition. IMO. Indepentent suspension isn't all it's cracked up to be in ford world.

should have been more specific, i had been drinking . . . had acouple people i personally have had wheel bearings go bad and axle boots cracking.

The 4.6L is a good motor.

Edited by OGRE

Guest Removed
weird cause I swear by my 98 5.0 explorer its been a beast for the last 11 years with little to no problems.I am kinda bummed to hear they are not as good as I though, I would love the 02 up body style as a replacement for mine.

the 5.0 ones are great trucks..but they still love to eat front end parts, and the aode in them was still hit or miss...maybe you have just takin care of your's like most people didnt do