head and cam ?

HONDATUNER356

im getting ready to swap cams and was wondering how much lift a stock set of sbc heads will hold before i have to swap out springs and other stuff. its a new cam going in so i would also like to know of a good way to break it in. any suggestions would be great. thanks

Guest Removed

stay under 550!

but, depending on heads, you might have to stay under 500. .500 would be your best bet. like the lower dollar lunati kit with lifters for 90.

But the important question is what length pushrods...?

Get an adjustable pushrod, make a lifter solid, assemble valvetrain, mark the end of a valve with a sharpie and go through two valve cycles and check the pattern, adjust, repeat.

At .450 you shouldn't have piston to valve clearance issues unless you are using domed pistons *I don't think* but that is something else to check with some clay.

Buy a long bolt that will thread into the front of the cam to help you hold it and leverage the back so you can clear the bores without nicking them... I am pretty sure I just covered mine in ARP assembly lube and use a drill to prime your oil pump, start it and let it run a while, change the oil, let it run some more, change the oil again, and you should be good to go- I would put a couple hundred miles on it with some easy driving before you redline it but probably not necessary as they say the majority of cam wear happens the first 90 seconds.