wheel bearing?

MackDaddy43

So.. weekly problem has come up with the audi.

I had a tie rod completely go out last week, got a new one from ecs and got it all put back on, aligned it and everything. Feels MUCH better. Now i think i'm having a problem with my wheel bearing. When i'm turning left i get this grinding noise that sounds like a bad wheel bearing..

It wasn't like this before the tie rod went out, is it possible that the tie rod caused the wheel bearing to go out too?

I dont want to just order another part that wont help... is there anything I can do to really check out the bearing?

Check your dust shield. I have that going on right now. It only makes a grinding/scraping noise when I turn. You probably bent it just enough and now it scrapes against the brake rotor when you turn.

Its not the first time I've done it either.

Check your dust shield. I have that going on right now. It only makes a grinding/scraping noise when I turn. You probably bent it just enough and now it scrapes against the brake rotor when you turn.

Its not the first time I've done it either.

Solution?

is the noise constant? does it change as you load the car side to side?

no its not constant actually, It only does it sometimes... never when i try to do it so i can hear it though.... :/

I've experienced both problems with my car. Wheel bearing is more of a roar or thrumbing sound, and the dust shield being bent will sound like a more metallic or "tinny" scraping. Like Rob said, a wheel bearing would be heard all the time for the most part, and should get louder or quieter when turning on an on-ramp or high-load situation.

yeah then i think it should be the dust shield. It basically is a clunking sound but its not constant. I have a guy I work with taking a look at it, since i'm stuck in the store. He said he didnt see anything but hes taking it for a drive now (joy riding probably) so hopefully he'll resolve it...

ok so.... he said it doesnt seem like anything is rubbing.. is it possibly a CV joint or something else?

I'll also try to get it on a lift at school tomorrow to get a better look... but he should have been able to see with the wheels on right?

Edited by rossignolboarder43

Is not lowered, yet. but it is a clunking noise... any recommendations on parts? ECS has a lot of different sets, what exactly do i need?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Cv_Joint/

Is it important that i get this done asap or will it be able to tough it out for a little?

A lot of times when we had audi/vw's come in with a REAL bad ball joint or tie rod end, when you shook the front end down you saw the real bad one and just thought ok this is the only bad part. Could you have missed another bad ball joint? Did u shake it down after you replaced the tie rod end.

Mine clunks a bit when I'm turning full tilt. I'm on my 3rd set of front axles and they all do it right out of the box. I've been through so many axles because the boots like to rip, and I've broken the joints by doing donuts in the snow or not realizing the boot was torn and the bearings finally ran out of grease. I just buy the whole shaft, its easier for me to just replace the whole thing and not worry about messing with the joints.

A4 axles are probably easier to come buy than S4 axles, but I used to buy refurb'd ones from Carquest and would get an S4 axle about 1 out of 3 times because they would send an A4 one instead. Now I run JHM solid axles and they are holding up just fine but still clunk at full tilt.

http://www.jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_62_63_125_213&products_id=120

ok so again it seems to point to a wheel bearing.. the wheel has some play going left and right..

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, or if its just a side effect but the top left control arm seems to move more then any of the others

god i'm getting sick of having problems lol.....

is the noise constant? does it change as you load the car side to side?

Sounds like your on it. Thats why Rob was asking you this. I have had a couple of cars that have had the center bolt be loose that holds the half shaft to the hub but if you have my luck its the bearing its self. They arent bad to do. Shake down just means check or move the tires, ball joints, tie rods, etc.

Guest Removed
yes, make sure you look real good while someone is shaking it top to bottom and side to side and also in between. while standing and looking at the back side, you can normally see whats loose, causing the issue. if the instructor isnt teaching you this stuff as you go, then shame on that instructor.

Guest Removed
Yeah he just tells us to shake the tire left/ right, then up/ down. Never told us to watch someone do it from the back side.

lol maybe you should teach at eastland rob XD

watching from the backside will tell you every thing. if you can see the cv axle moving, and the knuckle is not, then yes its a wheel bearing. and you will also be able to see any play in the ball joints, tie rods and so on, while watching while someone is shaking, other wise, you would just be guessing.

and no...lol teachers dont get paid enough.