Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 vs Dodge Durango R/T or 5.9

cinergi

I've owned a 4.7, 5.9, and a 5.7 Hemi, all in similar trucks, and there honestly isn't much difference until you haul with them. The 5.9 and Hemi and 3 times the engine the 4.7 is when towing. I was always impressed with the 4.7 when running 4.10's.

my mom has the jc. only has 48k on it, but i drive the ish out of it when i drove it. power was always there, even when towing a 17' boat loaded with shit to canada. its still a powerhouse. ive actually considered buying one myself. only complaint is that she burns tires off like mad. aunt has the durango- had nothing but tran problems.

I am actually leaning towards a 4.7 Overland at the moment. I really like the 5.9 performance, but perfer the 99+ styling. Vinny, when you mentioned the 4.7 with 4.10 gears, were you referring to overall performance or just when towing? I bet it would really move with the 4.10s behind it.

I see there are some issues out there with thr 4.7 in general. Any years better than others?

4.7s started in 00 and as long as the normal maintence was preformed they are fine. I have had 3 4.7s and all run fine and have had them from 2 miles, 18 miles, and 30k. They took the place of the 5.2.

when it comes to jeeps, durangos I would have no probelm with getting a 4.7 as long as they were taken care of. From 2004 the Hemi came out in the durangos and they were great.

In order I would take a jeep from years 1998-2010 --> 4.7, hemi, 5.9, 4.0

Durangos-->5.9 till 2000 then the 4.7 (2003 had all wheel disc brakes and a some small odds and ends) Gen II-hemi, then 4.7

Rams--> CUMMINS, Hemi

4.7's have sludge issues, I've personally seen 2 get lifters clogged and throw off rocker arms, and one completely lock up. from what I've read paraffin wax burns off of cheap oil and gathers in the valve covers, and of course can fall into the bottom half of the motor.. if you get a 4.7 make sure its quite while running and immediately switch to full synth oil and they're fine.

4.7s started in 00 and as long as the normal maintence was preformed they are fine. I have had 3 4.7s and all run fine and have had them from 2 miles, 18 miles, and 30k. They took the place of the 5.2.

when it comes to jeeps, durangos I would have no probelm with getting a 4.7 as long as they were taken care of. From 2004 the Hemi came out in the durangos and they were great.

In order I would take a jeep from years 1998-2010 --> 4.7, hemi, 5.9, 4.0

Durangos-->5.9 till 2000 then the 4.7 (2003 had all wheel disc brakes and a some small odds and ends) Gen II-hemi, then 4.7

Rams--> CUMMINS, Hemi

4.7's have sludge issues, I've personally seen 2 get lifters clogged and throw off rocker arms, and one completely lock up. from what I've read paraffin wax burns off of cheap oil and gathers in the valve covers, and of course can fall into the bottom half of the motor.. if you get a 4.7 make sure its quite while running and immediately switch to full synth oil and they're fine.

Excellent info, gentlemen! Thank you!