2 Pistons per cylinder hmm...

Squidward

2 stroke motor principle, 2 pistons per cylinder, and a turbo with an electric motor to eliminate lag. I wanna see one of these in action.

http://www.ecomotors.com/technology

Engine Design

Opposed-Piston Opposed-Cylinder Engine

This patented design creates a ground-breaking internal combustion engine family that will run on a number of different fuels, including gasoline, diesel and ethanol. The engine operates on the 2-cycle principle, generating one power stroke per crank revolution per cylinder. It comprises two opposing cylinders per module, with a crankshaft between them, and each cylinder has two pistons moving in opposite directions. This innovative design configuration eliminates the cylinder-head and valve-train components of conventional engines, offering an efficient, compact and simple core engine structure. The result is an engine family that is lighter, more efficient and economical, with lower exhaust emissions compared with conventional designs. Here you can see this revolutionary 2-stroke engine in operation, which helps to illustrate the simplicity, elegance and compactness of its design.

Advantages:

* Lightweight with high power density

o produces more than 1 hp per pound of engine weight

* Low emissions

* High fuel economy

* Simplicity of design for manufacturing efficiency, economy and operating durability

o 50-percent fewer parts than a conventional engine

o straightforward assembly

o no cylinder heads or valve train

o uses conventional components, materials and processes

* Inherently low noise and vibration

o all engine forces counteract each other

o runs as a fully balanced 4-cylinder 4-stroke engine

Modular Benefits

To meet a wide range of power output needs, these engines can be “teamed” in multiple modules, connected to each other via an electrically controlled clutch. This provides a variable displacement engine that offers significant fuel savings, optimized engine map performance and reduced emissions for real-world applications. Here you can see an engine with a second module added, which will double the power output for larger vehicles, but that can be de-coupled to provide significant fuel savings.

The Engine Family

At this time, EcoMotors International is developing two versions of the opoc™ engine, named EM65 and the larger, more powerful EM100. Here is a comparison of their specifications in single-module configuration using diesel fuel.

EM100

Cylinder bore 100 mm

Dry weight 296 lb.

Dimensions LxWxH (inches) 22.8 x 41.3 x 18.5

Horsepower 325 @ 3,500 rpm

Torque 664 lb.-ft @ 2,100 rpm

Power density 1.1 hp per lb.

But what is the curve going to look like?

And that's a LOT of reciprocating mass. I don't see it revving high.

With the likely hood of a narrow power band and low rev limit, I think it's going to lend itself to diesel-type fuels more readily than gas. Not a bad thing per say.. But I don't see this being the next 'vette engine...

They are doing the same thing except in a H configuration instead of an X. And they added a turbo and an electric motor. I think your link is better as it has actually been tested and isn't a concept.

They are doing the same thing except in a H configuration instead of an X. And they added a turbo and an electric motor. I think your link is better as it has actually been tested and isn't a concept.

this one only has one piston per cylinder though. booth seem like awfully good ideas, I hope they get put in production soon.