Lemon Laws

AWW$HEEET

I have heard rumors that there are lemon laws, regarding the sale of vehicles from a dealer. Can anyone explain these? For example you purchase car from a dealer No Warranty/As Is, and a few days or weeks later it unexpectedly kersplodes. (kersplode can range from blown head gasket, rear end failure, timing belt snaps, etc)

As a consumer, is there really protection for you, or are you fucked? Additionally are these state or federal laws? Just wondering.

Lemon Laws vary by state, but usually only apply to new car purchase. When you buy a used car as-is, that is what you get... AS-IS. I've used the lemon law to return a defective minivan (1996) but that is my only exposure to the lemon law.

Guest mitsumodder
As far as I know, the lemon law is if you buy a NEW car and it has a problem that the dealer can not fix within 30 days they must buy the car back under the "lemon law". I have worked at dealers for years now and I do not believe it to apply to used vehicles.

New vehicles only have such a return policy... Used cars are sold AS-IS in most cases unless there is a warranty from the dealership. As soon as you drive the car out of the used car dealership, they do not have to take it back even if it breaks down on the next stop light...

copied from the first site that comes up from that search:

Ohio Lemon Laws and the federal Lemon Law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) provide for compensation to Ohio consumers of defective automobiles and trucks and other vehicles and products including motorcycles, RV’s, boats, computers and other consumer appliances and products. To qualify under the Ohio Lemon Law or the federal Lemon Law, you must generally have a product that suffered multiple repair attempts under the manufacturer’s factory warranty. Lemon Law compensation can include a refund, replacement or cash compensation.

Something that is bought used as is no warranty can catch on fire the next day and the dealership will not have any obligation to you. If they want to keep a happy customer though, a lot of times they will help you out, at least a bit. My girlfriend bought a cavalier and within a week the timing chain went, and its an interference engine. I think they gave her $500 to put towards a new engine.