testing idler & pitman arm for movement

BrianZ06

Vehicle- 2002 - 2500HD, 4x4, crew cab ,short bed, 8.1, Allison Tranny, 4:10 rear.

This all started after I had a local well known tire shop mount and balance my new tires and do a front end alignment. They told me I needed one upper drivers side ball joint,both inner tie rods,idler arm,pitman arm :eek:, I was like what are you talking about I have no bad signs thru the steering at all. I'm curious what is the best or should I say proper way to check to see if the idler and pitman arm are going bad. I know I have one bad ball joint the drivers upper all the rest seem tight. I checked the idler and pitman with the truck on the ground weight on the tires with a large crow bar by placing the bar between the idler and pitman joints to see if I could get movement up and down. I could not see anything that stood out,no bad movement. I also had someone move the steering wheel back and forth while I looked at everything . I did get movement out of the upper drivers side ball joint. The truck has 105,000 miles and it drives perfect,tracks a straight line,no pulling,no vibration. I passed on the front end alignment ,paid them for the mount and balance and that was that. Seems like they were just tring to put the scare in me. What a joke. I just got rid of the stock wheels and replaced them with H2 Hummer wheels and 295 70 17 Hankooks. It drives like new right now and the steering is responsive when you turn the steering wheel.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/1fstws6/000_0981.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/1fstws6/000_0980.jpg

Edited by BrianZ06

Guest Removed

the lower arms need to be supported , ie loaded suspension.

wiggle(the tire) top to bottom to check for ball joint play.

then go left to right and check the for up and down movement in the idle and pitman. the pitman arm can have side to side movement in the ball socket.

your more then welcome to swing it by and let me see if i can find play, and i can even show you how to check the stuff.

Guest Removed
no biggie...i have a few customers from up that way (yes they drive clear down here to save money, seems the local shops like to take in limbs for payment..lol)