Insurance Rate question

Do accidents effect your insurance rates significantly more than other violations? (Stop signs, speeding, etc..)

I'm paying more money for liability only on my POS 1.5k accord than I do on my bike which I have full coverage on, and it's by a goooood amount. Plus my bike is worth over double what my car is worth. I know part of that is the fact that to them I use my car more so it's more likely I'll be in a wreck on that then the bike.

I'm on my moms, so it's her car (Shes only driver) My car (I'm only driver) My bike (I'm only driver) plus home insurance is on it as well.

We won't be switching companies out of any of this. I'm just asking for personal knowledge on what's to come this July when my accident falls off my insurance record and possibly add 2 more points that's not from an accident. So even if I have the same amount of points but none are accidents will I be paying the same or will I see a minor drop.

Also, my bike insurance will drop soon even more once I go through MSF. I'll be paying 60 more per month for my car than my bike at that point.

To be honest you might want to look at getting insurance through another company. Get off your mom's plan and see if the rates drop for you. Try progressive, geico, or allstate who do both cars and bikes. I would think that a older car should be $75-100 a month with points and maybe $50 for a bike?

I was paying around $1300 a year for an older bike and a neon back in 2000 when I was 20.

I would think that accidents would increase your rates more than moving violations. A moving violation just tells the insurance company that you are more likely to get involved in an accident that costs them money. An accident is something that they actually have to pay for.

I would think that accidents would increase your rates more than moving violations. A moving violation just tells the insurance company that you are more likely to get involved in an accident that costs them money. An accident is something that they actually have to pay for.

THIS! +1. I would try switching as well. Get off your parents plan. In the long run, it will save you money. Ive had my own plan from day one when i started driving. I had a turbo laser, and i paid nearly 200 a month for limited coverage.. Now i pay 80 for full coverage.

Yes accidents will cause more of an increase than minors. Each company will be a little different in how much more though. Age of a particular violation has an effect too. Insurance companies can merit rate for an accident And minors for 36 months but it's a decreasing surcharge as the accident or violation gets older.

...so don't be suprised if your rate with the fresh minor vs your 3 yr old accident is about the same

Not really. For instance. My mom has and i used to as well, have nationwide. When i lived at home, i somehow was able to get mutiple car and home owner discount even though i didnt. I was only insuring my laser. But when i moved to columbus, they want to raise my rates. I said eff that, and went to progressive. I was able to mantain the same rate and lost the discounts that i got from nationwide. So, i would just give them all a call. I go through Botkins & Maxwell Insurance Group.

4218 Indianola Avenue

Columbus, OH 43214-2826

(614) 265-9999

He is a really nice guy. Just go in there and talk to him about your situation. Also, go to the major guys websites and enter your info. For me, they were pretty close to what my rate would be.