to fix or not to fix

Big A

Well I have a 2001 Toyota corolla. I have had it for about 1.5 years and in this time I have had the front right wheel bearing replace 4 times and the front left replaced 1 time. The wheel bearing is bad on the right side again and apparently the year warranty starts the first time they replace it. They will replace it as man times as it goes bad in that year but after that I have to pay again. I was told they were using Napa parts and that is why it keeps going bad and not them installing it wrong. I was never given the option to upgrade to the Toyota part or I would have.

My questions are

A. Try a different shop, have them us Toyota parts and hope the driver side doesn’t go bad too?

B. Just sell/trade in the car, take the $1000-$2000 hit and get something I feel will not break every 3 months?

Ps any shops that might be interested in looking at this let me know.

Guest Removed
How can a wheel bearing go bad 4 times in 1 year if it is replaced correctly?

I call :bs:

KillJoy

my old Taurus eat 1 a year the whole time i had it

make them torque the bearing by hand to the correct spec watch them do it if they won't let you watch take it somewhere else.

most guys (me included) just ram the axle nut back on with an impact, but these new china bearings everyone sells have got to be torqued properly or they fail.

Have you checked your alignment? How is your tire wear?

I just got it aligned and new tires not to long ago so those are good.

As for having them fix it and watch it will cost another $400 as it is not covered anymore so its either pay another shop and take my chances or just try to get out of it. Dan tobin pretty much said I'm shit out of luck and have to pay to fix it again.

No you are not.... they are over priced!

:D

Hook him up!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Hell yea, rob if you want to PM me a random guess at a price until I have time to get it to you check out that would be great.

Thanks Rob for checking out the car today. I guess Dan Tobin didn't really look into the noise because it wasn't the wheel bearing, its coming from the differential in the trans. Hope this doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Guest Removed
Thanks Rob for checking out the car today. I guess Dan Tobin didn't really look into the noise because it wasn't the wheel bearing, its coming from the differential in the trans. Hope this doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

i dont see where they came up with that...neither wheel bearing was making noise... it was all coming from the diff in the trans...

toss it in the air with both front wheels off the ground, and get it up to about 35mph, and you can watch the one cv shaft moving up and down with the noise. kind of a common issue with these.

call the guys over there at rushman. im sure they can hook you up.

i dont see where they came up with that...neither wheel bearing was making noise... it was all coming from the diff in the trans...

toss it in the air with both front wheels off the ground, and get it up to about 35mph, and you can watch the one cv shaft moving up and down with the noise. kind of a common issue with these.

call the guys over there at rushman. im sure they can hook you up.

They are a joke at Dan Tobin I had tons of issues with them. I called rushman and I'm going to take it there in the AM. Thanks again Rob.

• 2 weeks later...