Opinions Please(Shadow or Sportster)

Artmageddon

Alright, I've got a decision to make, and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys.

Right now I have an 02 Honda Shadow Spirit 750.

I love the bike; how it looks, how it rides. and its paid for.

My biggest complaint is I ride the highway a lot, and feel like I have the engine wound out cruising at 65-70. If I was just bar hopping or cruising around town, it would be perfect, but I have a ton of weekend trips planned and most of them are 200-400 miles one way.

It has about 8500 miles on it.

I have a windshield, bags, custom pipes(this bike sounds sweet). Yuo can kinda see it in my profile pics.

I found a great deal on a 2006 Harley Davidson Sportser 1200 custom.

It only has 600 Miles on it(yes, 600), guy won it and never rode it.

It has a windshield, luggage rack and sissy bar. I would have to add the bags and that's about it.

It's selling for about $1500 less than anywhere I've seen, and those bikes had at least 5000 miles on them, without the windshield.

I can afford it easily, but at the same time the economy is terrible right now and I'm hesitant to put myself in any debt.

But it's way more powerful, I like it a lot, and it feels good. Alright, maybe I'm sucker for the the whole mystique of riding a Harley, but I feel that regardless, I'll eventually own one anyway.

I'm second in line for the Harley, there is one other guy who doesn't look like he can get financed and can't come up with a down payment. I'm already approved and have a down payment, so if he falls through, it's mine if I want it. I will find out and have to make a decision tomorrow, this bike won't last. It may end up that I don't even get, if that's the case I will buy new if I decide to with a Harley.

I was thinking about buying a brand new bike this spring anyway, so the even though the Harley is barely ridden, it it not new. But a new one is several thousand more.

Let me hear some of your opinions. I know there are a lot of Harley haters here, so I don't need the bashing, just give stick to what you think about these specific two bikes. I'm struggling with a decision and just want some feedback to get my own thoughts rolling.

Here are links to specs on both, and both are black.

Honda

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2002models/2002models-Honda-VT750DC-ShadowSpirit.htm

Harley

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006models-Harley-Davidson-XL1200CSportster1200Custom.htm

To be honest the sportster would def. meet your power needs and would be the better choice for the long trips, but on the maintenance side the shadow is the clear winner, plus you are right yours is paid for, so you could put the money you save in maintenance and not having a payment into juicing your bike.. i.e. power commander, K&n intake filter, and these mods would make your bike run smoother at highway speeds... so it's kind of a no-brainer I'd stick with the shadow for now, purchase some performance upgrades, and ride it till the wheels fall off....

IMHO...if you have to put yourself into debt to afford a used bike... you can't afford it.

Keep your Honda.

I thought the exact same thing. That's why I'm struggling with this. I went in to this planning on buying new if I got one this spring. I just happened to see this deal, and thought it was pretty good. For a bike with 600 miles, it is $3000 less than a new one.

, so you could put the money you save in maintenance and not having a payment into juicing your bike.. i.e. power commander, K&n intake filter, and these mods would make your bike run smoother at highway speeds...

Se, as stupid as this is, that never even crossed my mind. You guys are pretty much confirming my second thoughts.

I thought the exact same thing. That's why I'm struggling with this. I went in to this planning on buying new if I got one this spring. I just happened to see this deal, and thought it was pretty good. For a bike with 600 miles, it is $3000 less than a new one.

that makes me curious, I wonder what the dealer gave the guy for the trade in.... and could there be something more to the bike to make it worth less... 4 yrs old and only 600 miles you might find that the engine hasn't been broken in properly and you might be looking at serious maintenance if the seals and bearings weren't properly broken in and kept lubricated.... know what I mean?? kinda like a car that sits forever and doesn't get driven usually has things wrong right off the bat... like valves bearings crankshafts....just sayin...

Bikes, Cars, Computers... they only get better as time goes on. It might be a killer deal, but it sounds like you're in a cash flow crunch and when you're ready you'll get what you're looking for at a good price if you're willing to shop around later. Hell, 5 months from now you might find a 2007 model?

I know I've missed a couple of 'deals' (I recently missed getting an '03 Z1000 from Lancaster that was a good price), but all in all, if it was meant to be, you'd get the bike and feel comfortable with the opportunity costs to get it.

Worse case, you missed a deal if you pass it up and will end up finding another someday down the road. OTOH, if you get it, and shit really hits the fan, you might be stuck with a hunk of metal and no cash to pay your bills - unless you fire sale it and potentially take a loss and still have to pay off the debt.

Common knowledge that the economy is in the shitter - it's great for guys that have money, because they can pick up pretty good deals from people that don't. But, if you get the bike and have to liquidate it, your market pool might be dry if you have to up and sell it.

Sorry I'm all 'doom and gloom', but I don't think it's fiscally responsible to go into debt to have 'toys' because 'toys' are the first thing to go if you get in a pinch and you're almost always guaranteed to take a loss on them. It's a risky move to sell ol' faithful and jump into debt over another two wheeled machine who stakes its value on a brand name.

Whatever you decide... good luck. :)

that makes me curious, I wonder what the dealer gave the guy for the trade in.... and could there be something more to the bike to make it worth less... 4 yrs old and only 600 miles you might find that the engine hasn't been broken in properly and you might be looking at serious maintenance if the seals and bearings weren't properly broken in and kept lubricated.... know what I mean?? kinda like a car that sits forever and doesn't get driven usually has things wrong right off the bat... like valves bearings crankshafts....just sayin...

I'm with you, I was thinking about that too.

That's 3 important things that confirm what my head says. My heart says get the Harley, and I'm a bit of an impulse shopper.

I'm pretty sure I'm going pass on this one. Either ride the Shadow one more year and sell it, or just keep it till it melts.

Edited by Artmageddon

Art, put some work into your bike. change the pipes, seat , paint.

Its easy to freshen up what seems to get too familiar.

Arent there a few performance mods you can do?

Phop5 has the almost the same bike and it seems pretty fast. Ask him.

Sorry I'm all 'doom and gloom', but I don't think it's fiscally responsible to go into debt to have 'toys'

:)

This is a bit off topic.

I agree with you, but in reality this very seldom the case.

I make decent money, and I could pay cash for it. Why would I finance it then? I like having my savings cushion. I don't want my wife hurting financially if I wreck my bike and I can't work or something(if I die, she's on easy street) When I take out a loan, I get it for the lowest interest rate I can, and say its a four year loan, I pay it off in one. I tend to earn money in large chunks, so this way works for me. I lose a few hundred dollars in the long run on doing it like that, but I am okay with it.

Not everyone has $10000 to go buy a new bike either. If they can afford the monthly payments without struggling, more power to them.

Art, put some work into your bike. change the pipes, seat , paint.

Its easy to freshen up what seems to get too familiar.

Arent there a few performance mods you can do?

Phop5 has the almost the same bike and it seems pretty fast. Ask him.

Here's the really sad part, my wife and were out in the garage and I took the cover off the bike for the first time since December, and the first words I said to her was" damn that's pretty!" I sat on it and wow did it feel good, better than the sportster. I think I'm getting cabin fever and trying to cure it by looking at new bikes.

I'm keeping the Shadow at least a little while longer.

I'm up for performance mods- and open to suggestions.

I'm okay mechanically, but I'm not a gear head either, so nothing that involves tearing down the engine.

This is a bit off topic.

I agree with you, but in reality this very seldom the case.

I make decent money, and I could pay cash for it. Why would I finance it then? I like having my savings cushion. I don't want my wife hurting financially if I wreck my bike and I can't work or something(if I die, she's on easy street) When I take out a loan, I get it for the lowest interest rate I can, and say its a four year loan, I pay it off in one. I tend to earn money in large chunks, so this way works for me. I lose a few hundred dollars in the long run on doing it like that, but I am okay with it.

Not everyone has $10000 to go buy a new bike either. If they can afford the monthly payments without struggling, more power to them.

you could give me some of that "extra" cash you got laying around doing no good.... 00020166.gif Ha ha ha !!

Here's the really sad part, my wife and were out in the garage and I took the cover off the bike for the first time since December, and the first words I said to her was" damn that's pretty!" I sat on it and wow did it feel good, better than the sportster. I think I'm getting cabin fever and trying to cure it by looking at new bikes.

I'm keeping the Shadow at least a little while longer.

I'm up for performance mods- and open to suggestions.

I'm okay mechanically, but I'm not a gear head either, so nothing that involves tearing down the engine.

oomp makes pipes too. Ask him about your ride,

Touche.

Obviously, I can only speak to my financial situation - steady paycheck, and I, personally, wouldn't buy a $10k bike unless I had cash + my savings cushion. I'd end up waiting a few years until I had the cash, which means the $10k bike I was looking at is now $6k on the used market, or I can get a newer model year for the same $10k - that was my only point when I said that cars, bikes, computers get better as the years go on.

But you're absolutely right - sometimes it makes sense to finance. You must have an 'in' or connection at your bank and/or helluva credit rating to score any reasonable rate on a motorcycle loan in times like these. Killer investment strategy maybe? Day trader, perhaps? ;)

the power commander is plug n play, and all the K&N filter is a replacement for your stock air cleaner... pipes are made specifically for your bike... pretty much easy street.... once you get the P.C. on you'll wanna take it to get it dyno'd they can play with the maps from there...

the power commander is plug n play, and all the K&N filter is a replacement for your stock air cleaner... pipes are made specifically for your bike... pretty much easy street.... once you get the P.C. on you'll wanna take it to get it dyno'd they can play with the maps from there...

I know about k & n, had one in my Mustang and one is in my Ranger now.

Just never got around to it for the Shadow.

I'm not familiar with the Power Commander, but a quick glance at their website tells me that they don't make one for the Shadow. It has a carb, not fuel injection. Am I missing something?

Touche.

But you're absolutely right - sometimes it makes sense to finance. You must have an 'in' or connection at your bank and/or helluva credit rating to score any reasonable rate on a motorcycle loan in times like these. Killer investment strategy maybe? Day trader, perhaps? ;)

Nothing special, I am a graphic designer, my wife is a teacher, we just pay our bills on time and don't run up credit too much, save, and put a lot toward retirement. We own a house, that's key for getting good rates, and we try not to live beyond our means.

Also, always check State Farm Bank when you finance anything, especially if you have insurance through them. They will beat nearly any other rate you can find.

Opinion: I forget which years for which models that the new anti-vibration engine mounting design got going, but that's what you want. Nothing less. It's so much better that I got the impression that people were selling off the old style and quickly buying the new style. Otherwise you're trading one problem for another. Massive numbing road vibration. There's a reason that Harleys don't cruise far or fast. Vibration.