Water pump

99ta

91 s10

I think I have a couple issues. one its leaking coolant on the bottom right corner. however, it doesen't do it all the time. second, when it dosen't leak I fill it up with water but it still over heats. it over heated the other day and I went to add water. took the cap off and the pressure was crazy. water went about flying everywhere. that mean the water pump is not working? thanks.

Just because it leaks (if it is leaking), doesn't mean it will overheat. You have other problems. Any nasty milky looking shit in the water? Are you adding antifreeze each time, or just water? The system needs antifreeze even in the Summer.

I'd do what's mentioned above since it's a cake job; swap the thermostat and make sure you get it full. You should be able to see water seeping out of the small hole on the underside of the pump if it needs replaced.

Big air bubble, clogged radiator, stuck stat, head gasket, pump are all possible. I assume this has a mechanical fan?