WWII in the Pacific...

Science Abuse

And we fucking apologized to them

You have a problem with us acting like the proverbial better man? We vaporized 120,000 civilians in an instant, and brought a slow and horrific death to a quarter million more. I have no problem with apologizing for that.

Pictured: "Sorry bout that"

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific105.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1272640981

If you can apologetically rip the lives from 350,000 people, relinquish your title as a human being and proceed to the soilent green factory. If you ever creat a successful formula for eye-bleach, test it on medical photo's of A-bomb survivors.

It was a solution for a problem we didn't ask for, and if we would've had to invade Japan none of these people would of been civilians and we also would've lost countless more American lives. Japan brought it on themselves imho.

Yeah, we know this.... and that means we shouldn't apologize why? "Sorry bro, we tried to warn you." Your thought is we should have just said "Fuck you and the babies we deformed, we warned you twice"....?

You have a problem with us acting like the proverbial better man? We vaporized 120,000 civilians in an instant, and brought a slow and horrific death to a quarter million more. I have no problem with apologizing for that.

Pictured: "Sorry bout that"

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific105.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1272640981

If you can apologetically rip the lives from 350,000 people, relinquish your title as a human being and proceed to the soilent green factory. If you ever creat a successful formula for eye-bleach, test it on medical photo's of A-bomb survivors.

2 words! Pearl Harbor, hell look at all the american lives that were lost that day, they started something that they couldn't finish, we didn't ask them to attack us, so they shouldn't have started something they couldn't finish

Yeah, we know this.... and that means we shouldn't apologize why? "Sorry bro, we tried to warn you." Your thought is we should have just said "Fuck you and the babies we deformed, we warned you twice"....?

It's unfortunate that this is what had to happen to end the war but if it saved one American then it was the right choice. There is collateral damage in every war.

2 words! Pearl Harbor, hell look at all the american lives that were lost that day,

Would you like to get into semantics? That was an act of war, and war is what they got. They killed 2300 of our military and 57 civilians. That does not compare to 350,000.

Invading Japan and engaging everything that fought back would have been very costly, but that would have been war, that would have been "finishing what they started". We nuked two cities that weren't military targets. We did it for the sole purpose of shocking the Japanese into surrender... just like certain other groups these days take gobs of civilian lives to shock governments into doing what they want. That's an uncomfortable analogy, isn't it? You're saying it'd be a perfectly acceptable act of war to nuke Boston in order to get us to give up fighting somewhere.... unless you think we're allowed to do things simply because we are us. If you want to find yourself in a shitty country under psychopathic rule, just keep going around saying "It's only ok if we do it." Imagine a country run by Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh, with Pat Roberson as the secretary of defense.

I'm just saying that it was ok to apologize for nuking two cities full of oblivious people. I'm off for the weekend, have fun with this.

Also has anyone been watching The Pacific i thinks it is a great series like Band of Brothers, here are the first 7 episodes up till know just scroll down the page http://veehd.com/search?q=the+pacific

that series is awesome, its written or directed by Tom Hanks just like he did for Band of Brothers

Would you like to get into semantics? That was an act of war, and war is what they got. They killed 2300 of our military and 57 civilians. That does not compare to 350,000.

Invading Japan and engaging everything that fought back would have been very costly, but that would have been war, that would have been "finishing what they started". We nuked two cities that weren't military targets. We did it for the sole purpose of shocking the Japanese into surrender... just like certain other groups these days take gobs of civilian lives to shock governments into doing what they want. That's an uncomfortable analogy, isn't it? You're saying it'd be a perfectly acceptable act of war to nuke Boston in order to get us to give up fighting somewhere.... unless you think we're allowed to do things simply because we are us. If you want to find yourself in a shitty country under psychopathic rule, just keep going around saying "It's only ok if we do it." Imagine a country run by Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh, with Pat Roberson as the secretary of defense.

I'm just saying that it was ok to apologize for nuking two cities full of oblivious people. I'm off for the weekend, have fun with this.

so if Al Qaueda says we're sorry for killing all those innocent civilians on 9/11 and destroying the towers, then all is ok? no I don't think so! maybe its just me maybe I'm not human or have a heart but anyone that brings their BS to U.S. soil like that deserves what we give them, if we were to nuke all the countries in the middle east I wouldn't care 1 bit, I'm just saying that if japan didn't like what we did to them then they should have left us alone

350,000 Japanese did not die from the atomic attacks. And using even the most exaggerated numbers, the deathtoll was not even near those resulting from the conventional firebombings of Tokyo. Or the bombings of Dresden. Or the sacking and pillaging of China. Poland. The Jews. Russia...

Estimates from a conventional mainland Japan invasion were 2million Japanese dead.

No apology necessary. They can thank us though if they wish.

Especially as how after the war was over we set them up to be a world dominating 21st century economy better than they could ever have done themselves. No amount of decades of brutal Japanese imperialism accomplished what American rebuilding investment and charity post-1945 did for Japan.

But, if we want to be magnanimous, ok yeah we did apologize for that. And let us not forget they apologized to us first, too. But we're good that way. If you ever want to lose a war, we're the country to lose it to, bar none.

One last thing: war between two soveriegn states is different than guerilla warfare (either by us pre-declaration circa 1774 or Al-Qaeda 2004). And WWII didnt even introduce the concept of strategic war, wherein you attack a whole country, including its citizenry, not just its military. That was old even when Ghenghis Khan did it. But WWII was the epitomy of it; all combatants practiced it. Around the globe. All combatants practiced the slaughter of civilians. That was a first. Even if Ghenghis still holds the record for killing 1 in 7 of every human being on planet earth in his day.

If we're going to invoke history, lets remember all of it, accurately.

We were the heros of WWII. No amount of present day dumb-assery on our part will change that.

I love the history of WW2, I use to love watching "pacific in color" great stuff. A lot of amazing people fought for this country, war is war. when I use to live in japan, my dad found old japanese gas mask in old caves on okinawa. When I go to the beach you can still see the landing area's were marines landed ashore okinawa, the bullets are still smashed all over the coral wall, I think we still have some around here. In some areas you can still smell diesel fuel from the flame throwers that burned pill boxes and soaked into the ground. Either way im in the middle My dad was a us marine for 23 years, but I was born in japan , my grandma who just passed away had to hide in caves from the US bombing raids in okinawa. So crazy how history works.

so if Al Qaueda says we're sorry for killing all those innocent civilians on 9/11 and destroying the towers, then all is ok? no I don't think so! maybe its just me maybe I'm not human or have a heart but anyone that brings their BS to U.S. soil like that deserves what we give them, if we were to nuke all the countries in the middle east I wouldn't care 1 bit, I'm just saying that if japan didn't like what we did to them then they should have left us alone

I have one bit of sympathy for the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (none for the leadership):

You and I grew up in the nuclear age. We had Red Dawn, we had movies, we had this stuff in our text books, you may even remember having drills at school. Nuclear power was a reality, we had seen it, it was a part of our environment.

Back in 1945, it was a fantasy. I am in no way surprised that our first warning was ignored, that it was met with calls of BS. A nuclear weapon wasn't just a "more powerful bomb". It was and increase in power by an unmeasurable order of magnitude.... ok, "megatons" makes it measurable. Point being; it would be like a world full of model A fords, and you claiming yu were going to bring a 12sec car to the strip next week. "Bullshit, such a thing doesn't exist! What the hell is "fuel injection"?"

That is what the threat of a nuclear weapon was. They called BS on us, 4 kilotons in one lil bomb was utterly ridiculous.... until we dropped one.

Even after that, they didn't think we had another one, which was totally their fault.

Al Quaida saying their sorry fixes nothing, it's still an atrocity... you just supported/exceeded my point, maybe you want to go edit that. :p

How about this, Mowgli; I concess that we didn't *need* to apologize. If your read back over this thread, I never said that we *had* to apologize. I'm saying that no one should ever criticize us for doing so. If we really are the best country in the word, the greatest nation that ever was, why shouldn't we have the nads to say "sorry bout that"? To bring the pain and have the ethical fortitude to say that "we regret that so many had to die for you guys to get the point" is honorable.

If we're going to invoke history, lets remember all of it, accurately.

We were the heros of WWII.

As long as you're only talking about the Pacific, sure. Many other nations sacrificed greatly in the pacific theater, but we made the push that forced the Japs back to their mainland.

If you're referring to the European theater as well.... our boys did an outstanding job, numerous family members of mine fought in that war, but the Soviets out-killed us by almost 4:1. The single largest military mobilization in the history of humanity had nothing to do with the Western front, and the the Soviet buried 20 times more soldiers than we did. The war was won in the east.

They also raped their way through Berlin (literally), which brings us back to the "it's ok if WE do it" mentality.

If you're referring to the European theater as well.... our boys did an outstanding job, numerous family members of mine fought in that war, but the Soviets out-killed us by almost 4:1. The single largest military mobilization in the history of humanity had nothing to do with the Western front, and the the Soviet buried 20 times more soldiers than we did. The war was won in the east.

I agree with most of this except that the Soviets couldn't of made it to Berlin without the Nazis being in a two front war. Soviet winters don't hurt either.