how bad is this hurting me?

i just put 4.10 gears in the firebird and had it tuned for those gears. Well i dont know if im doing something different or what, but after the tune, i ran the car on the street and the car was shifting just a a hair over 6k rpm. At the track last night, it was shifting at 6500. So basically my question is, if my car makes peak power at about 5900 rpm, how bad is it hurting my times with it shifting that high?

no, when I run mine at the track, I don't typically shift until into those RPM's.

actually let me take a step back, ar you running the 3800 series motor? if so, I have no idea :p but the LT1's should be fine.

He is not running an LT1. On your dyno graph, where does the Horsepower line cross the torque line? That is the RPM I have heard you should shift. That is obviously going to happen after your power peaks anyhow, so you may not be far off. What have your times been since the swap?

He is not running an LT1. On your dyno graph, where does the Horsepower line cross the torque line? That is the RPM I have heard you should shift. That is obviously going to happen after your power peaks anyhow, so you may not be far off. What have your times been since the swap?

im not quite sure, ill have to try to find it lol. All i remember is that it made peak power at around 5900, not sure on the torque. Unfortunately, my times have all sucked since the gear swap due to high heat and humidity (my car goes nuts in warm weather, im usually off around 4 tenths in warm weather vs a nice cool day). But i guess for comparisson sake, the car ran a best of 13.85 @ 96 mph at the ntr rental and it was nice and some what cool then. Last night it went 13.97 @ 95 with a DA of right about 3000.

Guest Removed

you want to shift to were when the rpm drops, to that point... so if you shift right at 6350, and it drops right where the HP and TQ cross, your fine. you dont want your rpm below that. only way to know is to play with it honestly.. some like it higher, some like it lower. i found on my integ, if i shifted right at 5800, the car was the fastest. but if i shifted higher. the car slowed down.