Am I screwed?

Sully

My truck developed a miss. I checked vacuum lines, connections, air filter, etc. Now I'm checking plugs. I'm down to the 2nd to last plug. I pull the coil pack thing off and loosen the plug. I have to use one of those long reacher grabber things to pull the plug out. I was stupidly twisting the grabber thing counter-clockwise as I was trying to remove the plug. Evidently, I twisted the thing off the top of the plug and didn't realize it. I went to put the grabber thing back on the plug and caught a glimps of something come off the grabber. I didn't think anything about it at the time. I thought it was a figment of my imagination. I go ahead and pull the plug. That's when I realize what happened. I am almost positive that the top thing off the plug fell into the passenger side valve cover. I can't find it anywhere.

Is the valve cover going to have to come off? Do you think it could have possibly fell all the way down into the pan? What should I do?

Thanks,

Mike

its probably on top of the piston inside the cylinder

you can try to look in there with a borescope if you have access to one

or you can try a flexible magnet

if the tolerances aren't real close you can try and just start it up it may blow a small piece right on out through the exhaust

Guest Removed
its probably on top of the piston inside the cylinder

you can try to look in there with a borescope if you have access to one

or you can try a flexible magnet

if the tolerances aren't real close you can try and just start it up it may blow a small piece right on out through the exhaust

if its in the spark plug hole, you dont want to try to start it.. it will beat the hell out of the piston and head, then it might come out if it dont get jammed in the head or piston.

now, you say it fell down in the valve cover.. like down in the valve cover in the motor, or back down the spark plug hole? from what im reading you pulled the top off, then pulled the plug out. so i would say it shouldnt be inside the chamber, unless it fell into a different spark plug hole.

what kind of truck is this?

Guest Removed

not cool...

roll the motor over by hand, till the piston is all the way down. take a pencil magnet and run it down in there till you get it (should be laying in the lower part of the piston) but do not try and start it to blow it out.

not cool...

I know, right. I didn't realize that piece came off the plug until it was too late.

roll the motor over by hand, till the piston is all the way down. take a pencil magnet and run it down in there till you get it (should be laying in the lower part of the piston) but do not try and start it to blow it out.

I'm going to order this today:

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/wtd7901.html?utm_source=froogle4&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=WTD7901

Hopefully that will get it. If this doesn't work, the truck will either be going over a cliff or towed to you.

Here's the kicker. Going back to the reason this began. I've checked vacuum lines. Plugs are good. You replaced the fuel filter (and plugs) just a few months ago. What's left? The PCV valve, right? Well, guess what. You can't remove it from the valve cover. The valve cover has to be removed to check the PCV valve. :mad:

If the magnet fails to work you could try vacuum, I've used a section of clear thin walled nylon hose fitted to a shop vac to get out of some nasty situations. I wrapped a shop rag around the small hose, stuffed that into the shop vac hose and then taped it all up with duct tape.

If the magnet fails to work you could try vacuum, I've used a section of clear thin walled nylon hose fitted to a shop vac to get out of some nasty situations. I wrapped a shop rag around the small hose, stuffed that into the shop vac hose and then taped it all up with duct tape.

Attempted this very thing yesterday to no avail. I don't think my shop vac has enough power.

DON'T start it, a guy that was adjusting my valve on my old crx did that after a small piece fell in. In hopes that it would just come out thru the valves, he scored the cylinder wall. I have a extending magnet the head is alittle over a 1/4 inch, that should easy slip in the hole, I am in Newark though.

I received the little magnetic pick-up tool today. I was able to retrieve the terminal nut for the spark plug. FUCK YEAH!!

However, when I was attempting my "little piece of magnet on a string" trick the other day, I lost the little piece of magnet in there. It's about the size of a pea. I have tried to get that out as well, but it's not happening. Do you think I will be ok to start the truck with that little piece of magnet in there or do I need to continue to try to get that out of there as well?

If you want to fix it for sure go and buy a new head gasket and valve cover gasket along with any bolts you want/need to replace and just remove the head. If your motor is anything like a 302 (which I' pretty sure it is) then you just have to remove your intake, upper and lower intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover and then loosen the rockers enough so you can remove the push rods and then take off the head and take out whatever is inside. Even if it takes you a long ass time I highly suggest doing this. Do you really want to ruin your engine because a pea sized little magnet? I know I wouldn't. Go buy a Haynes manual and take your time doing it. And remember to keep your push rods in order. You don't want to mix up any of the valve train components or they'll wear out fast as hell. And depending on how many miles are on the truck I'd suggest replacing the other head gasket while your at it. Just make sure you don't touch the crank or timing chain during all of this. Once you get the new gasket just make sure you set your valve lash correctly and you should be good. I'm sure there are tons of people on here that will help you if you decide to go this way. Just the thought of a magnet sitting on top of a piston doesn't make me feel too good. lol

Guest Removed
Maybe you could put a small metal rod in there and try to get the magnet to stick to it instead of the piston or cylinder wall.

it wont stick to the piston, its more then likely stuck to the cylinder liner.

If you want to fix it for sure go and buy a new head gasket and valve cover gasket along with any bolts you want/need to replace and just remove the head. If your motor is anything like a 302 (which I' pretty sure it is) then you just have to remove your intake, upper and lower intake manifold, exhaust manifold, valve cover and then loosen the rockers enough so you can remove the push rods and then take off the head and take out whatever is inside. Even if it takes you a long ass time I highly suggest doing this. Do you really want to ruin your engine because a pea sized little magnet? I know I wouldn't. Go buy a Haynes manual and take your time doing it. And remember to keep your push rods in order. You don't want to mix up any of the valve train components or they'll wear out fast as hell. And depending on how many miles are on the truck I'd suggest replacing the other head gasket while your at it. Just make sure you don't touch the crank or timing chain during all of this. Once you get the new gasket just make sure you set your valve lash correctly and you should be good. I'm sure there are tons of people on here that will help you if you decide to go this way. Just the thought of a magnet sitting on top of a piston doesn't make me feel too good. lol

um no. there is a timing chain that runs up in the head, and cam it runs.. nothing like a 302. nothing.

1 gasket, and head bolts, and alot of time will be needed to do it that way. his best bet might be a grabber tool.or a stronger magnet!

it wont stick to the piston, its more then likely stuck to the cylinder liner.

um no. there is a timing chain that runs up in the head, and cam it runs.. nothing like a 302. nothing.

1 gasket, and head bolts, and alot of time will be needed to do it that way. his best bet might be a grabber tool.or a stronger magnet!

Well that's shitty. I guess go for the strong ass small magnet :bangbang:

i think the grabber might work better...i have one that i think fits down a spark plug hole... but yeah, it pays 18.2 hours for 1 head...

Damn that's insane. It only takes about 20-30 minutes to remove a head on the mustang. I say it's time for a motor swap :D

Guest Removed
its a pian in the ass on the trucks.. its only calls for 21.8 to do both. but pulling the front of the oil pan down, puling the front cover off, intake, and then getting to all the head bolts can be a bitch in a f150 with a 5.4.. the 4.6 is not as bad, but still a pita. granted i have seen guys do both heads in a matter or hours, but they do them all the time too.

its a pian in the ass on the trucks.. its only calls for 21.8 to do both. but pulling the front of the oil pan down, puling the front cover off, intake, and then getting to all the head bolts can be a bitch in a f150 with a 5.4.. the 4.6 is not as bad, but still a pita. granted i have seen guys do both heads in a matter or hours, but they do them all the time too.

I don't think you would have to go to that extent with this truck. The passenger side valve cover needs to come off and I'm almost positive the magnet is right there. However, the cooling system needs to be evacuated. According to EPA regulations, I can't do that on my own. I realize that because of where I live, I could do that and get away with it, but I don't wanna. It's not worth the risk.

I have a strong feeling the truck will be dropped off at your shop soon.

I'll let you know if that's the case. I'll help you push it into the shop since it can't be driven in. :mad:

being so damn cramped in the engine bay dont help either lol.

Oh, and it's not stuck to the cylinder wall or piston. It's most likely stuck to the valve cover or to the valve springs.

If it's just under your valve cover then take off the valve cover and remove it. It's literally a 10 minute job.