band adjustment or trans flush?

Reed44

My transmission is acting up on on me. when taking off it seems as though its skipping or not wanting to stay in gear. it will also down shift then shift up randomly when taking off. If i let off the gas right before 1st shifts to second, there is a loud clunk also. This all happens under normal acceleration. if i get on it even just a lil it will shift fine. how do i know if i need to do a trans flush with lucas additive or the bands need adjusted?

yeah yeah, i know. I hear it all day everyday at work. i wanted a fullsize truck and this was the only one i could get approved on by myslef so i took what i could get

remember when people say not to buy dodge trucks because the transmissions are junk? now you see why everyone says that.

Mine made it 260k miles in my Dakota before it needed opened...

yeah yeah, i know. I hear it all day everyday at work. i wanted a fullsize truck and this was the only one i could get approved on by myslef so i took what i could get

I have the same transmission in my Dakota, and it was doing what you described even with regular flushes. After acting that way earlier this spring, it finally let go and would only leave in 2nd gear just a few weeks ago, so I just recently had it rebuilt. The transmission guy said that if flushes were done at a Dodge Dealership they would have also adjusted the bands at the same time, and probably kept the transmission alive a bit longer. With that in mind, I vote band adjustment at least, especially if the fluid is still clean...

Hopefully thats all it needs. fluid is clean and it recently had a pan gasket and filter put on. i just dont want to do a trans flush with the additive and have to turn around and dump it out to do the band adjustment.