Laptop wireless problems... suggestions please.

nurkvinny

My dad brought me his laptop tonight b/c it wouldn't connect to his wireless network. Assuming a virus or simple setting, I did all the normal updates, scans, etc.

Found that his Intel Pro 2200bg wireless card was getting an error code 10. This is even after downloading a driver update from Intel. I am leaning towards the card itself being bad.

Can I find one of these dirt cheap, or, even if I can, should I just get him a USB wireless setup?

Thoughts? Opinions.

Its likely cheaper to get a cheap usb type device. Have you googled the error code to see if it's a common issue?

Thanks. Yep, I Googled and the suggestions I found were to go to Intel's site and run their tool that checks for driver updates, but I had already done all of that and drivers were good.

That will work if you are really close to the wireless router. If you go up a floor, or outside it probably won't work or will be a super low signal.

When used at his house, the router would be one story above the family room where the laptop would most likely be used. Can someone show me what I need to make sure he can use the laptop anywhere in his 3-story house?

Thanks again

Ummm at least get a usb adapter that has a movable antenna on it, or one that is still usb with a long wire and a tabetop setup to help with the signal.

Even better would be a wireless N router... like this one. But you would have to buy a wireless n usb card to benefit the most from the router.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT160NL-Wireless-N-Broadband-Compatible/dp/B0028N6VLE

Ummm at least get a usb adapter that has a movable antenna on it, or one that is still usb with a long wire and a tabetop setup to help with the signal.

Even better would be a wireless N router... like this one. But you would have to buy a wireless n usb card to benefit the most from the router.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WRT160NL-Wireless-N-Broadband-Compatible/dp/B0028N6VLE

Is N just the latest and greatest in the B and G dynasty?

dont buy from best buy. way overpriced on everything they sell. try completely uninstalling the device. deleting and uninstalling all drivers. try installing the new drivers again, if the error continues, revert back to a previous driver version. if that all fails, go with a usb wireless device or something similar.