College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

I agree it's their stuff to sell. Hell, the NCAA won't even let them sell the hundreds of dollars in bowl swag they get every year. They can't have a job, they can't sell the stuff they are given, they don't get stipends, I don't know what the NCAA expects some of these kids to do.

And as for players coming back or not, we should have a pretty good idea a week from now. Apparently if these kids play in the Sugar Bowl it means they've given their commitment to return next season. If they haven't done that, they won't play. Boom might have a little more leeway because he's close to graduating anyways and is a 4th year junior. He's just waiting for his NFL evaluation right now. So really we just have to look for Pryor and Adams in the game next Tuesday and we should know.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are actually given Stipends Zack. Thats what Posey's mom said atleast, she just said its based on the ammount of credits they take and in the summer its not enough to survive on..btw where did you hear about this agreement about them playing in the game and coming back next year?

"Insiders" at Scout.

And I think maybe what Posey's mom may have been talking about with the summer stuff could just determine whether or not they get their full scholarship benefits even over the summer (living expenses and whatnot). I'm pretty sure I read over the past couple days that they definitely don't get stipends. They get funds to pay for living off-campus but it's no more than the value determined by OSU of living in a dorm.

That was embarrassing for the Big 12. That was a team that had a 6-2 conference record, tied with 4 other teams in the Big 12. Iowa was 4-4 in the Big 10 and kicked pretty much every RB off their team for the bowl game and was missing an absolutely electric player in Johnson-Koulianos due to his off field issues. Hopefully a sign of things to come for the B1G TEN this bowl season.

"Insiders" at Scout.

i can actually confirm this. Its kinda of fucked up, but honestly there is nothing Jim can do if TP plays then declares for the draft after the game. There is no legal contract that he will have to uphold. Its more of a good faith contract IMO.

On a side note Terrelle and the guys seem ready to fuck up some razor backs. Very calm and collected considering the shit going on.

If TP bails he is an idiot. He will be a 3rd-4th round pick at best. If you think he goes higher as a QB then you are smoking cheap shit. I love the kid as a player, but taking the homer glasses off for a second, I can see that he is not 1st-2nd round talent as a QB right now. Not to mention he 1.Stated before this shit went down that he was returning for his senior year and 2. Is always talking about his love for tOSU and such. Well if he doesn't want his legacy to be tainted more then it is right now, he had better come back. He could go high in the draft as an athlete which would then make him a WR/TE project, but he'd have to be willing to do that. Also with the potential NFL lockout, I don't think it'd be a wise move to turn pro. Tress said it best "this isn't the most oppurtune time to be applying for a job"

Honestly I think the Brew Crew has been the most over hyped class here at tOSU. If you look at it as a whole you see a whole lot of under achieving and kids transfering (I believe 4 to be exact). This class was supposedly loaded with future NFL players and right now I can see 4-5 future NFL players. Pryor, Posey, Adams, Brewster and Nate Williams. All the others have done little to show they are of the calibar that the next level requires.

Apparently the players did sign something with Tressel saying that they will return next season to allow them to play in the bowl game. Nothing legally binding but still even a little more concrete than "my word."

And I don't know, that 2008 class has done pretty well.

20 kids, 1 never made it to campus, 4 transferred (but 1, Keith Wells, is set to return next season). So 4 of the kids are not taking up scholarship space. So out of 16 kids (Wells included) 13 will be starting or making serious contributions next season. That's a damn good hit rate for a single class.

I think 8-9 kids are locks for the NFL down the road.

I hope the ncaa reduces the suspensions seeing as it was jus this yr the ga wr sat 3 gms for somthing similar. And I don't get where they feel like these players have to pay this $ back. If they had to sell there shit to begin with to get the money where are they getting it to pay charitys back? Can u say boosters? Then its a double whammy, ncaa is a bunch of neive fuck sticks that think they are doing a great thing. Every good program cheats !!! That's why they r good. Getting the W is the most imp part and with W's comes $. Small investment equal big pay outs.

The objective person in me says that they should be suspended for the Sugar Bowl and maybe the first two games of next year.

The person that understands how the world works knows that the powers-that-be need the players in the Sugar Bowl. Also, as a "trade off" (i.e., not suspending them for the Sugar Bowl), this is why they are getting five games for next season.

I hope and think that Pryor and Posey will be back. I think Boom is gone - though I thought he was going after this year anyway.

Even with the suspensions, the first five games are very winable. Miami is a trainwreck right now and Michigan State has never scared me - this year included. I think Ohio State would have rolled them worse than Iowa did, quite frankly.

Phil AJ Green sat out 4 games, but he also sold his shit to an agent, which is a big no no. So yeah the suspensions should be reduced.

Zack, what other players from this class do you think are NFL calibar? Shugarts has major foot issues and the only thing he has done consistantly in his career is False Start every game lol. Sabino could be NFL level, but hell he had to redshirt just in hopes of ever seeing major playing time here. Klein might beat him out for the MLB spot next year, then what? I just don't think they have lived up to the hype thus far, win a NC next year and then yeah they would've lived up to the hype.

i can actually confirm this. Its kinda of fucked up, but honestly there is nothing Jim can do if TP plays then declares for the draft after the game. There is no legal contract that he will have to uphold. Its more of a good faith contract IMO.

On a side note Terrelle and the guys seem ready to fuck up some razor backs. Very calm and collected considering the shit going on.

Just curious, what is your affiliation with the team?

Zack, what other players from this class do you think are NFL calibar? Shugarts has major foot issues and the only thing he has done consistantly in his career is False Start every game lol. Sabino could be NFL level, but hell he had to redshirt just in hopes of ever seeing major playing time here. Klein might beat him out for the MLB spot next year, then what? I just don't think they have lived up to the hype thus far, win a NC next year and then yeah they would've lived up to the hype.

Yeah, no matter who does end up in the NFL, like you said, they bring home an NC next season, especially now, they've done their job.

But the 8-9 guys from the 2008 class that I think are locks to spend some amount of time in the NFL...

Pryor, Posey, Brewster, Adams, Shugarts, Stoneburner, Williams, Howard and Sabino.

You're right about Shugarts' foot thing but he's toughed it out this long already, I don't see him calling it quits before he at least takes his shot at the NFL. Sabino redshirted this year specifically so he could have 2 years to start at MLB. I read yesterday that Klein needs to "stop enjoying college life so much." So I don't see him beating out Sabino just yet and you don't start at MLB at OSU for 2 years with Sabino's measurables and not get an NFL shot.

So that's 9 guys. From basically a 16-man class. And several of the unlisted guys still have some time to earn a shot in the NFL... Sweat could get stuck in that 3rd LB spot we don't use so much outside of Big 10 play/when we have a healthy guy at the star position but he's got a shot. Goebel still has time to do something. OJ is a tremendous athlete and could lock down a safety spot next season. Then who knows if Keith Wells does indeed make it back what he'll be able to do. That's 4 more with a shot.

I'd dare you to find a better class under Tressel...

BTW - Tressel confirmed the "agreements" regarding suspended players having to pledge to come back next season if they wanted to make it down to NOLA. The players are all there so it looks like they're all coming back.

Still think there's a chance there was a different agreement with Boom. He could very well be supplanted as the starter by Rod Smith. Apparently Rod Smith is Jesus.

Big 10 is looking alright thus far in bowl games, pleasently suprised. Zack, while Sabino has all the measurables in the world, he has done very little to impress anyone on the field. I haven't heard anything bad about Klein, in fact the only thing I have been hearing is how he carries that mean streak that an OSU MLB should have. I guess we'll find out next year...

So, like I said, 8-9... that's still 8. Out of basically a 16-man class. With the potential to have 5 more. Find me a better class under Tressel. You say hype so maybe you overhyped them in your head, I don't know. They've lived up to the hype collectively IMO. Individually some of them still have a bit to prove but as a group they've been incredible.

Okay figured you guys would enjoy this. Every year me, my wife, my four-year-old stepdaughter, and my father pick all the bowl games to see who does best. Thus far through 13 bowl games here are the standings:

My dad: 4 of 13 picked correctly

Me: 5 of 13 picked correctly

My wife: 7 of 13 picked correctly

Four-year-old kid: 10 of 13 picked correctly

LOL - so glad I spend so much time watching and reading about college football to get my knowledge on because obviously it is paying off...