College Football - 2010

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duh?

You quoted me like I was saying Herbstreit was the superior quarterback.

I'm just saying that Pryor is better at what he is doing than Herbie was doing when he was in the same position. I think he has a right to talk back. Herbie didn't accomplish shit as a QB and I am not really sure what makes his opinion better than anyone else's other than the fact that ESPN pays him $$$$$$$$$$

I'm just saying that Pryor is better at what he is doing than Herbie was doing when he was in the same position. I think he has a right to talk back. Herbie didn't accomplish shit as a QB and I am not really sure what makes his opinion better than anyone else's other than the fact that ESPN pays him $$$$$$$$$$

Then just say Pryor is the better quarterback and don't quote me and act like I said he wasn't.

Also, while you're defending Pryor mouthing off about Herbstreit, would you also defend Herbstreit for mouthing off about how Pryor sounds retarded when he talks? Because Herbstreit is way more accomplished as a speaker than what Pryor is - so what's fair is fair, right?

And why are you acting like you need to accomplish something in order to be able to have an educated opinion about the subject? So Herbstreit was a mediocre QB. Yeah, and? How many Heismans did Chris Fowler win?

Since you seem to think Herbie is merely being objective then explain why he moved OSU from 6th to 9th after a Sugar Bowl victory over the 2nd or 3rd best team in the best conference in the country.

His explanation was impressive... "I was half asleep."

I'm sure yours will be equally eloquent.

Since you seem to think Herbie is merely being objective then explain why he moved OSU from 6th to 9th after a Sugar Bowl victory over the 2nd or 3rd best team in the best conference in the country.

His explanation was impressive... "I was half asleep."

I'm sure yours will be equally eloquent.

Where did I say Herbstreit is "merely being objective?" Maybe you're half asleep.

Then just say Pryor is the better quarterback and don't quote me and act like I said he wasn't.

Also, while you're defending Pryor mouthing off about Herbstreit, would you also defend Herbstreit for mouthing off about how Pryor sounds retarded when he talks? Because Herbstreit is way more accomplished as a speaker than what Pryor is - so what's fair is fair, right?

And why are you acting like you need to accomplish something in order to be able to have an educated opinion about the subject? So Herbstreit was a mediocre QB. Yeah, and? How many Heismans did Chris Fowler win?

Pryor is an idiot when he speaks, but maybe you missed the part where Herbie said "Pryor not playing would be addition by subtraction"

BTW, I never said you said that. I was saying that Pryor has a foot to stand on when he says shit back to Herbie when he criticizes his play.

Pryor is an idiot when he speaks, but maybe you missed the part where Herbie said "Pryor not playing would be addition by subtraction"

BTW, I never said you said that. I was saying that Pryor has a foot to stand on when he says shit back to Herbie when he criticizes his play.

No, I didn't miss that part, I heard that Herbstreit said that. What's your point?

And don't quote me and then say something that intimates I said the opposite. I never said Herbstreit was a better quarterback, but you quote me and say that Pryor is 100 times better. Say what you want to say but leave me out of it unless you want me correcting you.

For the record, I agree that Pryor can mouth off all he wants. I just think he sounds like a dumbass when he speaks. I really like him as my QB and I'm a huge fan of his, but his persona is starting to wear on me a bit. *shrug*

Also, I guess I will allow you to just dodge my question about Fowler's Heismans.

Where did I say Herbstreit is "merely being objective?" Maybe you're half asleep.

Where did I say you said Herbstreit is merely being objective? Maybe you're totally asleep. :p

I said it seems that you think that's what's going on. Going back through your posts you said that if he puts OSU too high then he's a homer and if he doesn't rank them high enough he's a traitor. So it's all about perceived objectivity? Is that why he joined in on the irrational attack on OSU during the 2004 Alamo Bowl? Is that why he's used OSU as a punchline since the 2006 national championship game? Is that why he named innocent players on national TV with regards to TattooGate? So he can be perceived as objective in the national spotlight? If that's all you think he's trying to do then he needs to take some serious lessons from a guy like Clark Kellogg.

No, I didn't miss that part, I heard that Herbstreit said that. What's your point?

And don't quote me and then say something that intimates I said the opposite. I never said Herbstreit was a better quarterback, but you quote me and say that Pryor is 100 times better. Say what you want to say but leave me out of it unless you want me correcting you.

You had nothing to correct me on. Just because you want to think that I was implying you said something you didn't, doesn't mean that you "corrected" anything. You said you wouldn't take Pryor's word over Herbies and I was just saying that Pryor has a leg to stand on, because he was a much better QB than Herbie.

Also, I guess I will allow you to just dodge my question about Fowler's Heismans.
There is nothing to doge. Fowler wasn't a QB at Ohio State. I also take what he says with a grain of salt sometimes as well. Just because they are getting paid by ESPN doesn't always make their opinion better, that is the great thing about the media. An "expert" when it comes to opinions is no more than someone who gets paid. There are thousands of people out there who are much smarter and better at analyzing college football than those 2 guys. They are on air personalities and I usually take them as nothing more.

Where did I say you said Herbstreit is merely being objective? Maybe you're totally asleep. :p

I said it seems that you think that's what's going on. Going back through your posts you said that if he puts OSU too high then he's a homer and if he doesn't rank them high enough he's a traitor. So it's all about perceived objectivity? Is that why he joined in on the irrational attack on OSU during the 2004 Alamo Bowl? Is that why he's used OSU as a punchline since the 2006 national championship game? Is that why he named innocent players on national TV with regards to TattooGate? So he can be perceived as objective in the national spotlight? If that's all you think he's trying to do then he needs to take some serious lessons from a guy like Clark Kellogg.

Yes, it's all about perceived objectivity for Herbstreit, nicely put. All the other bullshit you said after doesn't make much sense, unless you're trying to sell the notion that he has to intentionally say critical things about Ohio State in order to maintain his shroud of credibility?

There is nothing to doge. Fowler wasn't a QB at Ohio State. I also take what he says with a grain of salt sometimes as well. Just because they are getting paid by ESPN doesn't always make their opinion better, that is the great thing about the media. An "expert" when it comes to opinions is no more than someone who gets paid. There are thousands of people out there who are much smarter and better at analyzing college football than those 2 guys. They are on air personalities and I usually take them as nothing more.

Wait, so now only really great QB's at Ohio State have any credibility when talking about sports?

That was a rhetorical question. You and I both know that it's silly to say someone needs to have accomplished something in sports to have any credibility when talking about it.

But, since you opened the door, who exactly should be considered an expert when talking about college football? Since you said there are thousands out there, I guess it won't be difficult for you to name a few.

Wait, so now only really great QB's at Ohio State have any credibility when talking about sports?

That was a rhetorical question. You and I both know that it's silly to say someone needs to have accomplished something in sports to have any credibility when talking about it.

But, since you opened the door, who exactly should be considered an expert when talking about college football? Since you said there are thousands out there, I guess it won't be difficult for you to name a few.

I am saying that Kirk being the Ex-QB at OSU makes it a little different. You are a smart guy, you can see that, it's obvious you are arguing just to argue. To criticize the play of a sucessor looks like nothing but jealousy and hate. If it were a QB of another school, there wouldn't be an issue. Although they are still just on-air personalities.

And why do I need to name some? There are tons of posters on forums all over the country that are just as smart, they just either didn't choose that career path or don't have the charisma to be an on-screen talent. Hell there is a guy on OT who usually hits about 90% on his predictions yearly.

I am saying that Kirk being the Ex-QB at OSU makes it a little different. You are a smart guy, you can see that, it's obvious you are arguing just to argue. To criticize the play of a sucessor looks like nothing but jealousy and hate. If it were a QB of another school, there wouldn't be an issue. Although they are still just on-air personalities.

And why do I need to name some? There are tons of posters on forums all over the country that are just as smart, they just either didn't choose that career path or don't have the charisma to be an on-screen talent. Hell there is a guy on OT who usually hits about 90% on his predictions yearly.

So if I continue to say something counter to what you say I'm just arguing to argue? Nice double bind. *applause*

Criticism of a successor is jealousy and hate? Then what about the criticism of a predecessor? Jealousy and hate too? Or what?

I was honestly interested in knowing who you thought was an expert in college football. Don't name them if you don't want to. *shrug*

I'm not disagreeing that there aren't a ton of people out there who know a lot about college football. I just wanted to make the point that you don't need to have been a star in college football to talk knowledgeably about college football on TV.

Yes, it's all about perceived objectivity for Herbstreit, nicely put. All the other bullshit you said after doesn't make much sense, unless you're trying to sell the notion that he has to intentionally say critical things about Ohio State in order to maintain his shroud of credibility?

What I'm saying is that what he's done over the last 6 years crosses the line as far as trying to maintain perceived objectivity is concerned. If you've been paying attention it's obvious that Herbie has a problem with OSU. And OSU has a problem with him. Been that way for a while. You can continue to defend Herbie and think that it's some kind of act for his job. I'll continue to judge him based on my observations over the last 6 years and the program's general feeling towards him.

What I'm saying is that what he's done over the last 6 years crosses the line as far as trying to maintain perceived objectivity is concerned. If you've been paying attention it's obvious that Herbie has a problem with OSU. And OSU has a problem with him. Been that way for a while. You can continue to defend Herbie and think that it's some kind of act for his job. I'll continue to judge him based on my observations over the last 6 years and the program's general feeling towards him.

I guess I just don't see him as being as biased against Ohio State as you do. Maybe I need to look closer. Am I missing something? Maybe. Dunno. I'm not too dense to say I could be mising the boat here. I don't think I'm that far off base, but I could be.

My lack of perception notwithstanding, if you don't think people have to act a certain way to stay on television then you're not half-asleep, you're half-brain dead.

So if I continue to say something counter to what you say I'm just arguing to argue? Nice double bind. *applause*
Too bad you keep trying to imply I meant something that I didn't.

Criticism of a successor is jealousy and hate? Then what about the criticism of a predecessor? Jealousy and hate too? Or what?
So criticizing one of the best single season QB performances in OSU history the way he has is what? Pryor will go down as the most prolific offensive player in OSU history and having him suspended is "addition by subtraction". That's pretty a stupid thing to "objectively" say now isn't it?

I'm not disagreeing that there aren't a ton of people out there who know a lot about college football. I just wanted to make the point that you don't need to have been a star in college football to talk knowledgeably about college football on TV.
I didn't say you had to be, but some of the criticism some of these guys make you just have to step back and say "now wait, just who the hell are you". I would suspect that you wouldn't want someone who has read a ton of blogs and watched you work telling you how to do your job, why is it any different with these guys?

Mark May shows his true hatred for OSU yet he's still on tv, so your saying that Herbie can't be a "homer" in fear of losing his job? I agree with Zach here, there is some issue with Herbie and tOSU that is being kept behind closed doors. Herbie has continuously picked OSU to lose ball games against top 5-10 ranked teams and always talks about the 06 game during ever national title game he broadcast. Point in case the Auburn vs Oregon game "this reminds me of the 06 NCG between OSU and Florida. Everyone thought it would be a shootout but Florida simply dominated that game". Was there really a need for that comment? I mean didn't Oklahoma get blown out of the water by USC and Florida, yet no one talks shit about Oklahoma. Which btw Herbie ranked Oklahoma ahead of OSU after losing to Nebraska (who lost their bowl game) and beating a 8-4 (now 8-5) UConn team.. The media definitley has a bias against tOSU, reason being they produce more money then any of the SEC schools. I really don't watch ESPN anymore because of the bullshit announcers and "experts" they have on air. Herbie has just bought into it because they are paying his bills instead of tOSU.

To interject, it was I who originally stated that I believed Herbie's opinions to be objective, and I stand by my statement. Given the information that I have, which I would consider maybe one rung higher than a casual fan, Herbie comes off as an intelligent, informed analyst who loves his alma mater but wants to see them be better. I know none of these people personally, and if you hear Herbie talking in his sleep about how much he despises the B1G, and tOSU, then you have insider info that I do not. Also, stop sleeping with the guy, he has a family.

I hardly remember Harbie's playing days, and I honestly don't care if he was any good at his position. I think that both he and Pryor have plenty of ground benethe them to stand on if they want to lob verbal bombs at one another. (Given the situation, though, Pryor should keep his argument to what they can do on the field, and Herbie should stick to questions regarding eloquence and intelligence.)

If Herbie gives the impression that he's "On the SEC's nuts", well, I don't know if you have been keeing up, but the last 5 national champs HAVE come out of that conference, and two of those champs WERE crowned after making an OSU team look overmatched. I suppose I can forgive him for that.

Had to Edit:

Mark May shows his true hatred for OSU yet he's still on tv, so your saying that Herbie can't be a "homer" in fear of losing his job?

Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE, really think that Mark May is on the same level as Herbie? Again, Mark May isn't calling any games. I don't think he's scared of losing his job, I just think he wants to be the best analyst in college football. Cause he's ambitious, and competitive. The kinds of things that you would need to be a major college quarteback (or something).

The golden boy Herbstriet is the same guy that was busted cheating on his wife with another married woman, I believe thats called Adultry?

I will assume that you mean to say "Adultery". Spelled correctly or not, I really have no idea what bearing it has on this argument.