Helmets...Please read

timmy43016

I need to gather information regarding your personal feelings about wearing a helmet for the purposes of riding a motorcycle, driving a circuit track, drag racing, or for any other purpose that requires the need for a helmet. Please try and answer the questions honestly as we are looking for feedback on the following questions to put a case study together. The intent of this questionnaire is to assist us as we are developing a new technology that will make it easier and more enjoyable for use of a helmet.

Do you currently wear a helmet?

Why do you choose or choose not to wear a helmet?

If you do not, under what conditions would you? (law, close call, witness an accident etc.)

What do you like or dislike about wearing a helmet? (size issues, weight etc.)

If a helmet could offer a better experience/persona/vision technology, what would that technology be and would you be interested in wearing this helmet?

Thanks guys for your time.

I always wear my helmet on my bike. I personally feel naked without it. I don't want to lose all the the info I've been putting into my brain the past years because some ass hate decided to cut me off or I took a spill enjoying some good roads.

I also have had numerous giant bugs hit me while doing 70+ and I can only thing what that would have felt like without the helmet on.

Guest tbutera2112
I need to gather information regarding your personal feelings about wearing a helmet for the purposes of riding a motorcycle, driving a circuit track, drag racing, or for any other purpose that requires the need for a helmet. Please try and answer the questions honestly as we are looking for feedback on the following questions to put a case study together. The intent of this questionnaire is to assist us as we are developing a new technology that will make it easier and more enjoyable for use of a helmet.

religiously...wont get on my bike without one

to keep my head safe, and keep the bugs away....i enjoy living

If you do not, under what conditions would you? (law, close call, witness an accident etc.)

i hate the extra heat, and i hate the weight you start to feel after a few hours of being on the bike...i wear one of the most well ventiliated, and lightest helmets on the market at the moment, and i still feel it

If a helmet could offer a better experience/persona/vision technology, what would that technology be and would you be interested in wearing this helmet?

for technology, a heads up display broadcast onto the visor with a view of whats behind you (operated by a button to shut it on or off)...a company is already doing this kinda, buts its a separate piece....

also, a design for better ventilation, an adjustable breath guard to accomodate different shape heads, and a secure quick release on the chin strap (in addition to the standard pull strap...so once its set tight, you dont have to undo it)

Thanks guys for your time.

in red.

Always

Safety

N/A

Size, Weight and heat

Built-in bluetooth is nice, though I realize that's not a new feature. Better airflow maybe.

see quote above

Do you currently wear a helmet? Always

Why do you choose or choose not to wear a helmet? Even if we didn't have a helmet law I'd wear one I like my melon

If you do not, under what conditions would you? (law, close call, witness an accident etc.) I will ALWAYS wear one

What do you like or dislike about wearing a helmet? (size issues, weight etc.) The weights and how hot it is on a HOT day

If a helmet could offer a better experience/persona/vision technology, what would that technology be and would you be interested in wearing this helmet? Rear view mirrors would be ool (there is one out) lighter weight/strength, and general looks

Answers above

Running at the track with the Camaro - Yes

On the road with the Harley - No

I don't like it. I know it's stupid, but I defend others rights to be stupid and the only person I will kill will be me by not wearing it. I have no logical excuse for why I don't. It has nothing to do with weight or visibility, I just enjoy riding without it more than with.

If made a law I would probably wear a beanie helmet to be legal and not get hassled. I do wear a helmet when riding in bad weather or cold weather. If I get freaked out enough that I need a helmet, I'll probably quit riding all together.

It's hard to put into words. To me a lot of the feeling of freedom is lost behind a helmet. Typically I wear a bandanna to keep from sunburning my head and riding glasses to keep my eyes clear of dust, bugs, etc...

I suppose the experience is the best way to describe why I don't wear a helmet. If you can provide that feeling while still wearing a helmet, then I might consider it.

For the record, I am well educated and I understand the risks I am taking by not wearing a helmet. Riding a motorcycle is not a safe activity to begin with. Those who choose to wear a helmet have my respect. Those who choose to not wear a helmet are making a choice just like me. It is my right to exercise similar to carrying a concealed weapon. I also disagree with the law that requires drivers and front seat passengers to wear seat belts. While I think it is a smart move I disagree with legislating intelligence. This is my opinion, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Guest tbutera2112

I don't like it. I know it's stupid, but I defend others rights to be stupid and the only person I will kill will be me by not wearing it.

as i said in the other thread...i hate this mentality....please start looking past yourself for once and realize that others are effected too by people who do not wear helmets.

insurance rates, medical costs, negative media attention, and many other things...youre not the only person in the world riding a bike, no matter how "free" you feel while doing it, others are on the roads with you, and others will feel the negative impact on the community when you bust your head open and your brains spill out down the freeway

not to mention any emotional harm you may do to anybody who comes across the wreckage....my ex gf had some guy wreck right in front of her house (we were 15 at the time)...she ran out to see if he was ok, and was fucking traumatized by what she saw....of course, no helmet, and there was his teeth and face and everything smashed into the ground....she cried for hours over that shit, and doubt she will ever get the picture outta her head

Yes

Because I don't want to smash my head on the pavement or other hard surface and die.

N/A

Visibility issues

I personally don't like the blind spot when walking the bike backwards, or trying to merge.

Seeing teeth and brain spattered all over the road could be a good wake up call for others to wear their helmet. If you don't want to wear your seat belt or helmet be my guest. Insurance rates going up aren't significant enough to put a law on people wearing their gear/ seat belts.

Tyler, I'm sure if your girl ever hopped on your bike she would wear a helmet, and seeing that guys teeth on the road would take the, should I or shouldn't I wear my helmet today question out of the equation.

Seeing stuff like that is part of life. It gives people something to think about and be more safe in more aspects than just riding a bike.

Do what you want is how I feel about it.

I also don't get the blind spot thing with helmets. If you turn your head all the way like you're supposed to while backing up you will see everything that you need to see. You should also have mirrors on your bike so you can see what's directly behind you.

As far as merging, make the extra effort to turn your head another inch so you can see. I know it can be done because I do it daily. Helmets are designed so that you can see everything you need to while riding your bike. If your mirrors don't pick up something on the road behind you, you definitely have enough room to turn your head and pick up what your mirrors cant.

Guest tbutera2112
Insurance rates going up aren't significant enough to put a law on people wearing their gear/ seat belts.

then how comes rates are lower state wide in places with full helmet laws?

When I go out to "play" yes when im just cruising no

not sure just a much more enjoyable experience when cruising with out one.

I wear one when im out playing around where the immediate danger level is that much higher ie going out an playing aroudn corners at high speeds ect

the weight ive got a really bad neck so I cant weear a helmet for more then an hour with out extreme pain .also the heat goodlord it gets hot

not sure really.

as someone else stated in here I know its dumb but its my choice deal with it. I run my life not you so :gtfo:

as i said in the other thread...i hate this mentality....please start looking past yourself for once and realize that others are effected too by people who do not wear helmets.

insurance rates, medical costs, negative media attention, and many other things...youre not the only person in the world riding a bike, no matter how "free" you feel while doing it, others are on the roads with you, and others will feel the negative impact on the community when you bust your head open and your brains spill out down the freeway

not to mention any emotional harm you may do to anybody who comes across the wreckage....my ex gf had some guy wreck right in front of her house (we were 15 at the time)...she ran out to see if he was ok, and was fucking traumatized by what she saw....of course, no helmet, and there was his teeth and face and everything smashed into the ground....she cried for hours over that shit, and doubt she will ever get the picture outta her head

everyone has there opinion tyler let people run there lives as they so please. if it becomes a law great but untill then let them MAKE THERE OWN DECESIONS.

can we hug now :p

You are as much entitled to you opinion as I am to mine. As long as it is not law I will do as I please. By your argument we may as well outlaw motorcycles all together because riding (with or without a helmet) is a dangerous activity. For that matter why not outlaw all dangerous or unhealthy activities so our insurance rates will drop even further and eventually everyone will die of nothing.

Guest tbutera2112
By your argument we may as well outlaw motorcycles all together because riding (with or without a helmet) is a dangerous activity. For that matter why not outlaw all dangerous or unhealthy activities so our insurance rates will drop even further and eventually everyone will die of nothing.

your argument here makes no sense...its good to see what people can come up with when they have no counter argument...gotta love hyperboles

what next? we should make it legal to drive drunk in a thunderstorm with no headlights/tail lights/windshield wipers? if were not allowed to do that, we may as well not be allowed to drive cars at all! theyre dangerous and we need to go hide in our house.

i can play that too.

your argument here makes no sense...its good to see what people can come up with when they have no counter argument...gotta love hyperboles

what next? we should make it legal to drive drunk in a thunderstorm with no headlights/tail lights/windshield wipers? if were not allowed to do that, we may as well not be allowed to drive cars at all! theyre dangerous and we need to go hide in our house.

i can play that too.

I love how I get asked my opinion and then get attacked for giving it. In answer to your question young jedi ... no, we should not make it legal to drive drunk in a thunderstorm with no headlights/tail lights/windshield wipers. This would put others in danger as well as ourselves. Whether I ride a motorcycle with out without a helmet I am really only endangering myself. It is very rare to hear about an accident involving a motorcycle and anyone other than the motorcyclist is hurt. Wearing a helmet does not automatically make riding a safe past time. Riders are still killed, maimed, paralyzed, etc... when they are wearing a helmet.

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”

~ Mavis Leyrer

Guest tbutera2112
I love how I get asked my opinion and then get attacked for giving it. In answer to your question young jedi ... no, we should not make it legal to drive drunk in a thunderstorm with no headlights/tail lights/windshield wipers. This would put others in danger as well as ourselves. Whether I ride a motorcycle with out without a helmet I am really only endangering myself. It is very rare to hear about an accident involving a motorcycle and anyone other than the motorcyclist is hurt. Wearing a helmet does not automatically make riding a safe past time. Riders are still killed, maimed, paralyzed, etc... when they are wearing a helmet.

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”

~ Mavis Leyrer

well, sorry you felt i was "attacking" you, not my intent...but i got nothing else to say in responce to this that i hadnt already said in my first post http://www.ohio-riders.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif

well, sorry you felt i was "attacking" you, not my intent...but i got nothing else to say in responce to this that i hadnt already said in my first post http://www.ohio-riders.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif

Cool. You're not going to convince me, I'm not going to convince you. Each of us is right in our own mind.

i can play that too.

I think he ended the argument with his response Tyler.

If you can't afford the insurance rates don't have a bike. You get quotes before you get vehicles, or most people do. Obviously the extra money you're spending on the insurance isn't enough to make you not have it.

Bitch at people for not wearing jackets more than helmets. The hospital bill I assume would be more for a visit to the doctor for some really bad scrapes compared to a death.