home wiring

Twistedrx7

weird it looks like they did when they did the house. Ill just run it to another breaker i suppose i can always expand later.

The only time I have seen it be allowed is when you have a doorbell transformer mounted to the panel and you just tie it into a used breaker. I doubt you willsee any problems adding a couple lights to it. Its your house and I dont see it as any type of hazard unless the circuit is maxed out which Im sure its not.

The only time I have seen it be allowed is when you have a doorbell transformer mounted to the panel and you just tie it into a used breaker. I doubt you willsee any problems adding a couple lights to it. Its your house and I dont see it as any type of hazard unless the circuit is maxed out which Im sure its not.

maybe its the doorbell it was right by it i didnt even check. ill just do the new breaker since i have like 15 more slots for them.

Guest 614Streets
You should be able to trace the circuit out of the box and then install a junction box after it , just make sure the junction box has an acess cover if its going in drywall.

You should be able to trace the circuit out of the box and then install a junction box after it , just make sure the junction box has an acess cover if its going in drywall.

that is what i dont want to do, id rather keep it all in the breaker box. plus i can add a lot more lights onto it later if i want, rather than run out of room down the road and have to do the same thing.

What you want is called a tandem breaker. Takes up a single slot, provides two low-voltage circuits coming off a single pole (as opposed to a double-pole breaker, which takes up two slots and gives one high voltage circuit).

What you want is called a tandem breaker. Takes up a single slot, provides two low-voltage circuits coming off a single pole (as opposed to a double-pole breaker, which takes up two slots and gives one high voltage circuit).

You can do this. It is not the best way, but it will work. The other option as already mentioned is to put a junction box in. Junction boxes are legal if closed up and have wire nuts on them.

I am am not an expert, but I would think the reason you can't run 2 wires off the same breaker is one wire could come off, they could shift after your tighten the clamp causing the screw to be loose, or something similar. If you have room, spend the $15 and put a different breaker in.

It costs a lot more to buy a piggy-back breaker than it does to buy a standard single pole. He has plenty of room for another standard breaker.

You can do this. It is not the best way, but it will work. The other option as already mentioned is to put a junction box in. Junction boxes are legal if closed up and have wire nuts on them.

I am am not an expert, but I would think the reason you can't run 2 wires off the same breaker is one wire could come off, they could shift after your tighten the clamp causing the screw to be loose, or something similar. If you have room, spend the $15 and put a different breaker in.

You're not supposed to put more than 1 wire because thats all they are designed to hold so you are correct.

Junction boxes are legal only if accessible.

If it turns out to be a Square D QO panel let me know. I probably have some extra 15 amp breakers laying around.

lol i saw this too late, i just picked one up at lowes, only 5 bucks so not a big deal. it is a square D though.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f11/29017d1243985893-double-tapped-breaker-jchristensen-126.jpg

Max, what you see here is a pair of tandem breakers (two slots, four breakers/four switches) a piggyback (third screw down), and a two-pole breaker (bottom). Tandems with only one wire per screw meet NEC (this was my suggestion to Jake). Piggybacks (more than one wire on a screw) do not. Piggybacked tandems do not, either.

Edited by mmrmnhrm