who all built them home outside of a housing development?

smokin5s

And what all do I need to watch out for?

We already have land, driveway, electric, 1500 gallon dual tank / leechbed septic system, and delco water tap.... What are the gotchas that you need to make sure to add into the housing build to make sure that the house gets built without any issues?

I know we have to budget in for a service driveway, the permits and shit, but what else do we need to make sure that we don't get hit with because we weren't prepared?

this is the first I'm hearing about this.... we are using either Wayne Homes or Shumachaer... it's not the building that concerns me because they told us what the house will cost to be built, it's everything else that has to do with land prep, etc... that is concerning me.

We built with Wayne about 3 years ago. Very easy process. Some things will depend what county your in. Delaware County would have been more permits/higher cost. We built in Morrow County. Only complaint I have is we seem to have a very crappy Lennox heat pump. It has given us so much trouble that Wayne Homes and I forced Lennox to give us a 10 year warranty.

As for land prep you'll probably want to have it graded nice once the house is finished.

Luckily my Dad and I can run heavy equipment well so we had no trouble clearing, doing grading, putting down the driveway, and running water line.

As for land prep you'll probably want to have it graded nice once the house is finished.

Luckily my Dad and I can run heavy equipment well so we had no trouble clearing, doing grading, putting down the driveway, and running water line.

The water line was fun, watching you ride that trencher for 8 hours to go a whole 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile or whatever it is

Depends how are you have to go. I had <> 1800ft of waterline. Installing your own electric wire will save <> $100 per ft. If I had to do the waterline again I'd just hire it done, it would have been much easier and cost about the same.

I rented the equipment from Ohio Rental in Mt Vernon, some stuff I got from Delaware Rental, and I found that if you are really gonna put hours on a Skid Steer you should rent from Sky Rental down in Westerville (they don't meter the run time, hehe)

As for doing the actual trenching its slow work and the dirt up here has nasty large gravel (1 ft dia and bigger) every few feet so they gets annoying.

If you have wire that needs put in the ground and doesn't need to put really deep I have a sub soiler attachment for my tractor that makes that job very fast. I ran a 10ga 270ft long power line to my observatory in about 1 minute.

I know of someone who built and didn't realize they had to pay for all of the electric supplies, so I would just make sure you have everything you need from the electric company. The prices are insane! Luckily when we built the previous owner had installed a junction box and all the poles.

Also, I wished we had put our furnace and water heater in the basement. I was so excited to be ordering stuff in the house that I forgot. It sure is a huge pain now. I wish I had the extra storage space now everyday. Just take your time and be sure to go over all the fine details.