Oil filter claw wrench?

2 Sweet

Do they work well?

There is never enough clearance for me to get a good grip on my oil filter, and I refuse to spend $14 on the K&N filter with the nut welded on the bottom (brilliant idea though). The screwdriver method sucks, and the filter wrenches I have tried are useless.

I've never used the claw style though, and it looks like it would work. Any thoughts on this?

Have you tried the strap type wrench!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00960617000P?vName=Tools&cName=Auto&MechanicsTools&sName=Auto%20Specialty%20Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

that 's what I use for a back up!

Put a 1/2 inch drive rachet in the end of it to unscrew the filter.

Guest tbutera2112

theres some vehicles where you cant fit a strap wrench ^

and the angle sometimes makes it nearly impossible to get off by hand

plus, the claw works must faster than a strap

theres some vehicles where you cant fit a strap wrench ^

and the angle sometimes makes it nearly impossible to get off by hand

plus, the claw works must faster than a strap

Yeah one of those would be my car lol. Gotta stick my arm up then left around somethin then right and i can barely get a grab on it, but i get it off.

Also, i never EVER recommend the screwdriver trick. You put a hole in your oil filter and then shred it to pieces and it still doesnt come off your f'd.

Guest tbutera2112
Yeah one of those would be my car lol. Gotta stick my arm up then left around somethin then right and i can barely get a grab on it, but i get it off.

Also, i never EVER recommend the screwdriver trick. You put a hole in your oil filter and then shred it to pieces and it still doesnt come off your f'd.

yea, nobody is talking about a screwdriver trick though...the claw is much safer than that

but i had a truck that had an oil filter like yours, hard to reach and impossible to get a strap up there....i could get it from under the hood with a claw, could break it loose, but couldnt actually get a grip on it to spin it

You guys must be some pussies if you cant turn a damn oil filter off with your hands. And forget claws and shit like that, just get a strap wrench. If you use it right itll come off in just seconds.

Ooooh, Mr. Macho tough guy! :lol:

Have you ever changed the oil on an LS1 f-body? Apparently not. It has nothing to do with strength, there just isn't enough space to get a good grip. You'd need some baby midget hands to get anything more than your fingertips onto the filter. It's flush with the oil pan, and right next to the header

Have you ever changed the oil on an LS1 f-body? Apparently not. It has nothing to do with strength, there just isn't enough space to get a good grip.

Did a oil change on a 94 z28 Lt1 and that wasnt a problem at all. Not entirely sure where the ls1 oil filters are located.

The filter is flush with the pan, and there isn't much space especially if you have longtubes...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c295/skoval25/june14003.jpg

I can't get my fingers far enough up there to get a good grip. I've somehow managed to twist it off once before, but I think I just got lucky

Guest tbutera2112

wait...which claw are we talking about?

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

http://www.oildepot.ca/images/plier-filter-wrench.jpg

i was talking about the oil filter pliers, i just always called them a claw wrench, but i forgot that that term is used for the first kind

You guys aren't cranking these things on real tight are you? You should be lubing the gasket with oil, then spinning it on until the gasket touches the block, then 1/2 turn or so by hand after that. A filter should never be tightened more than that.

Oh, and cup-style socket ftw for that LS1 filter.

I use the claw pliers at the shop, since the dick heads over at 10 minute oil change special are a bunch of gorillas. Filter is hand tight, there is a torque spec for filters and it is not much.

aye

its not about how strong you are, its about how stupid the last installer was. we do 20 oil changes in a day you run into some fucked up shit.

i've used the claw pliers for the past 15 years on every oil change i've done. they work just fine, as long as you don't crush the filter when installing it. i lube the gasket, and turn it 3/4 turn once snug--never had a leak. i've tried wrenches/etc--some filters are just hard to get at, and you can angle the pliers any way you want.

Guest tbutera2112
i've used the claw pliers for the past 15 years on every oil change i've done. they work just fine, as long as you don't crush the filter when installing it. i lube the gasket, and turn it 3/4 turn once snug--never had a leak. i've tried wrenches/etc--some filters are just hard to get at, and you can angle the pliers any way you want.

never use claw pliers installing it...that just has bad written all over it..

put some of the old oil around the gasket, and put it on there hand tight

never use claw pliers installing it...that just has bad written all over it..

put some of the old oil around the gasket, and put it on there hand tight

i've used it every time for the past 15 years---it takes a light touch, but can be done without damaging the filter at all.