school me on 96 dodge ram 1500 4x4

Twistedrx7

Its a 5.9l with the hd tranny 46re i believe cant remember. I am looking to see what mods might be good for it. So far i have come across the hughes intake and ported stock tb. I know right now it needs a new track bar and bushing and ball joints up front, and dual steering stabilizer. Prob send the injectors out to be cleaned. I did sea foam the engine as well and put a bigger intake filter on 14x3.

Ive already changed the oil and coolant and pulled them tranny pan and replaced the filter and gasket and put in new oil. Need to do the same to the transfer case and front and rear diff.

I am going to be using it for towing and hauling a lot of stuff. Ive been on dodge forum going over some things and seeing what i can find out, but thought id ask here what your experience has been.

So suspension or body lift, and what type of header works best, ive looking for something a 3" dual straight exhaust no cats. and is replacing the valve covers worth the money.

• Downvote 1

I am not very up on the older style rams, but you might want to check out another Ram forum that I am on http://www.ramforumz.com/

As for the 5.9L, I know it is pretty good engine with some good power. They do sound very good with the cat and no muffler. :) Of course your weekest link is going to be the transmission, with the issues many had with transmissions with Mopar's from the 90's. Just make sure the fuild is changed regularly and make sure the bands are adjusted each time you change the fuild.

body lifts look like shit, go with suspension lift.

He's better off doing no lift. On a truck that old that is notorious for eating transmissions, transfer cases, ball joints, tie rod ends, and just about every other part, changing the geometry isn't the wisest thing to do

Its a 5.9l with the hd tranny 46re i believe cant remember. I am looking to see what mods might be good for it. So far i have come across the hughes intake and ported stock tb. I know right now it needs a new track bar and bushing and ball joints up front, and dual steering stabilizer. Prob send the injectors out to be cleaned. I did sea foam the engine as well and put a bigger intake filter on 14x3.

Ive already changed the oil and coolant and pulled them tranny pan and replaced the filter and gasket and put in new oil. Need to do the same to the transfer case and front and rear diff.

I am going to be using it for towing and hauling a lot of stuff. Ive been on dodge forum going over some things and seeing what i can find out, but thought id ask here what your experience has been.

So suspension or body lift, and what type of header works best, ive looking for something a 3" dual straight exhaust no cats. and is replacing the valve covers worth the money.

Exhaust and the tune up should help out a little bit. Just an FYI, don't expect to see over 13-14MPG on the freeway without a load. The 5.9 isn't the most fuel conservative motor in the world, but it'll get the job done towing things.

As far as a lift is concerned, don't even contemplate a body lift. It's the most dangerous, damn hillbilly crap that was ever invented. Spend a little more on a nice coil spring/leaf spring lift. With a nice 2-3" you'll clear 285-305's (33's) with no issues. If the valve covers are excessively leaking, might aswell yank them. It's more of a PITA than anything, but not bad. I love my 2000 Ram Sport, but it's just a temporary DD and all around knock around truck.

actually i am getting around 15-18 mpg on the highway, yeah i was going to pretty much do what was needed to keep it safe, this isnt a DD, just a truck to get things done in and tow the RX7 and other toys with.

I might do the lift i might not just depending on what i have invested after the neccessary things. But definitely might pick up the FI hughes intake and do a 3" true dual and possibly headers