Entry level competitive drag racing?

hpfiend

Hey all-

What is out there as far as competitive drag racing (for money) short of pro-stock? Is the mustang NMRA class system the easiest and most affordable to get into?

In my head I see street tires or maybe drag radials, stick shift, weight minimums, index style, small block/big block classes for NA and power adder, receipts would be nice as well for parts/time invested.

Spending 100K to win 1K, going 8 rounds at trails bracket racing for a piece of plastic that you won because the other guy red lighted in the finals, staying up until 3am to risk going to jail for some unregulated freeway 3rd honk deal with guys running sticky tires on the street after it just rained (in mexico years ago), or getting up at the crack of dawn to polish your brains out to go admire each and others cars parked next to each other turned off in some lot just doesn't work for me anymore. I guess I could spend a lot of money on my car with no plans for hooking it or stopping it and then bench race with my dyno numbers on the interweb?

No offense to anyone out there- I have done all of these things before other than the 100K- more like 20K to win nothing (it was a sweet car though) and lost more than half when I sold it :-(

There has to be others out there that love cars and hp and want a realistic chance at winning some money and at the minimum having some honest fun. I guess this most recent track day in september against cleveland/cincy is the closest thing I have ever seen like this...

Comments/suggestions?

Edited by hpfiend

What is out there as far as competitive drag racing (for money) short of pro-stock? Is the mustang NMRA class system the easiest and most affordable to get into?

In my head I see street tires or maybe drag radials, stick shift, weight minimums, index style, small block/big block classes for NA and power adder, receipts would be nice as well for parts/time invested.

These will be your two best bets if you do not want to go dragster bracket racing. You will need to really look at what organization you want to run and what rules they have.

You might also want to think about building a car that can fall into several different classes in a few different organizations that way you are not limited or can make a couple of small changes to run NMRA or NMCA along with many others out there.

Now if you are really serious, buy a roller car that someone else has built and save the $$ and time of doing it yourself. Just make sure you know what you are getting and there is no BS with the car.

you sir are the man- I didn't know about the nmca... thanks!

No problem! It also depends on how far and much you are willing to travel. There are TONS of smaller series and shootouts at all kinds of tracks.

There are also tracks that do quick 16's quick 8's and other heads up stuff but those cars at some tracks are full blown race cars hitting the mid to low 7's to win.

If you are a clutch jockey there is also the UMTR. They put on a great show and really are fun to check out.

Another one is the ORSCA http://www.outlawracing.com/

Wow I am glad I posted this- UMTR is even local somewhat and I like the requirement for manual trannys...

matt I know I have thought about the index deal but most of the tracks I am aware of only have 9 second and lower indexes and the fastest I have ever been is low 12s- I could have been 11s in the mustang if I would have worked at it but def not low 11s.

Why only a chevy in nmca?

Grow balls and street race you pussy.

Kidding, buy seriously, street racing will net you far more money.

I doubt it if you figure how much money you have in your car if you can win and if you do noone else will race you again especially for money. I guess if you are racing a bunch of hondas like fast and the furious not so much but when I used to do it it was in the south where it is nice year round and there were some serious rides out there late at night.

cant you just build like a 12-13 sec bracket car and go tear it up at trails, as long as you are super consistent?

I have that right now with my c5 z06 and brackets are boring. I won more than once in my firebird back in HS- no money and letting off is gay.

Edited by hpfiend

starting to look that way but I think it is brackets only the more I read.

NMCA/NMRA looks to be the best.

I would also checkout the Chicago Outlaws if they still travel. Heads up, full interior, running in the 8’s or 9’s and many of the were still street driven.