Problem with 1999 Mazda 626 2.5L w/ AC

navybradSE

My 1999 Mazda 626 recently developed a problem last night, and I'm trying to figure out the issue.

While driving, the car started shaking horribly (and it does the same sitting still at idle). The check engine is on, and starts flashing constantly.

When the car goes to shift (I believe its into 3rd gear...hard to tell with the shaking and an auto transmission), it will get to 3000rpm, act like its going to shift, jump to 3500rpm, then one more small jump of about 250rpm and then finally shifts. To shift out of other gears, the car has to be around 4000/5000rpm before it will do anything. (It also quickly ramps up to those rpms as well)

I have to push the pedal to the floor in order to get it to "granny accelerate", as I like to describe it. When going up hills, the car will be at 3000rpm and still loses speed.

Any help would be appreciated, and if you have any specific questions in order to help diagnose this, I'll be checking this constantly.

I had the serpentine belt replaced today, as it was going bad and to see if it was causing the issue, and the oil changed (only 100 miles over its due mileage). The car has 159k miles on it.

Thanks guys.