Conquest TSI's

ICEMAN1647545504

I have the chance to buy a modded one for the cheap. I have never had one of these cars, and I dont know what to look for in one. I know that rust is a big issue with these, but where do I look for rust? The car has a "big" turbo on it so I dont know who might be able to tune it. All in all just looking for a car to drive somewhat daily and it is fun to drive and a bit different. My Suburban is killing me on gas and lets face it, not that fun to drive. Input??? Thought???

Neat cars, but "BIG Turbo" and "modded" would keep me away from it.

Could be a real big money pit.

Well... I'm looking at 2 of them. One of them has 70K miles and it is all stock except for some minor bolt on's. The other one has this:

Red on black 87 quest 88k miles

Full 89 interior swap

Built engine: All machine work done by general engine rebuilding in cleveland, Well known local Mitsu guy

Wiseco forged pistons .030 over

Shot peened and re-sized rods ARP hardware

Clevite bearings

Balance shaft removal

Computer balanced rotating assembly (crank cut .010 on rods)

Fitted Crank scraper (not installed)

Ported and polished Marnel head

284 schneider solid lifter cam

Shnieder springs and retainers

1mm oversized stainless valves swirl polished and undercut stems 5angle valve job

Aajusa mls head gasket

ARP studs throughout the entire engine

89 flywheel and trans

ACT 2600 6 puck clutch

Short throw shifter

Custom RC engineering injectors 680 primary and 1200 secondary

Treadstone cast t3 manifold flanged for .38mm wastegate

Real garrett 60-1 turbo with polished compressor

Tial 38mm external wastegate with open dump

3 inch turbo back exhaust

MSD Digital 6 ignition and coil

Griffin aluminium radiator slim fan

Gm maf with translator

Apexi safc2

Autometer boost gauge in stock cluster location

Custom bar and plate FMIC and hardpipes silicone couplers and T-bolts

Tial 50mm Q blow off valve

Walbro 255HP fuel pump

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with gauge

KYB GR2 struts on all four corners

Taylor plug wires

89 ECU and knock box

Greddy Profec B boost controller

NGK wide Band

I'm more leaning towards the stock one because I dont know how much of a headache will the modded one be. This is going to be a somewhat of a daily driver.

lol, do some more research on these cars.

I'm trying to, but some people that are die hard fans of these cars say that they are the best thing since chips, and other ones that bought a rust bucket say that they are nothing but a hunk of shit. Hard to find an honest opinion. That's why I want to get some input.

I'm trying to, but some people that are die hard fans of these cars say that they are the best thing since chips, and other ones that bought a rust bucket say that they are nothing but a hunk of shit. Hard to find an honest opinion. That's why I want to get some input.

Bottom line: The motor is mostly a boat anchor, but the body is sweet.

Yeah, thats the one but I'm more interestred in the stock one. The more I read about the modded ones the more I think I'm better off not getting one.

Probably a wise decision. Not really a great choice for a daily driver.

Mine was a DD when it was stock and it never gave me any problems. Cars looks nice and handle well. Stock engine is fine stock as long as regular maintenance is done. Cracked heads are common from poor head design+overheating. Blown headgaskets are common from turning up the boost. Rear wheel wells tend to show rust first.

I would not recommend one as a daily driver to anyone unless they had a back up daily driver. :-) I have owned 4 and have been active in the StarQuest community for over a decade. I love the cars but will be honest with you, don't daily one...unless you have a lot of funds, plenty of time to search for harder to find parts, and plenty of patience to work on a fuel and electrical system that was meant as a cruel trick on Americans.