How much power can a lightly built 700r4 take?

coltboostin

I know that some guys use them instead of TH400 or TH350 to save weight and they have OD in some cases.

Do you know who built it? I would suggest going over to yellowbullet.com and searching around, that is where the big boys play. Someone over there would know.

The 700r4 is a non electronic version of the 4l60e and if properly built can handle 700-800hp decently.

The weak points of the transmission are gonig to be the 3-4 pack IIRC. A good trans cooler and a well built trans and you can do some work with these.

You might also consider a 200 4r as it will directly bolt in place of a th350/400 and can hold similar power (requires a bit more upgrades). You can get kits redily available to make the lockup work on vacuum as well as the cables to hook to a holley carb.

to build a 700r4 up to 700 hp capacity. plan on spending 2000 in upgrades.

they are junk all the parts inside are junk. the 4l60e second model has most of the mods done but needs a computer. 2004r is a better option. harder to find and still neds some work. im going to th400. since i dont wana spend 2000 on my 700r4. u want a good one to try.? 50 bucks.

it needs two planetarys. wich are 799 for one and 599 for the other hubs and a drum wich always cracks. the whole design of the pump is fubard. need a constant pressure pump wich is 499. and a rebuild kit for 260. plus new boost valves, upgraded servoes. having built these for power its a waist. easier to go with a good tranny to start with.

To be specific-I have no trans to start-

And this would be bolted to a 4 banger-so all the torque (what REALLY breaks parts) will not be there. At most-the car will make 550-60ft lbs at full song. Car will weigh 2200-2400lbs.

Looking around- a TH400 looks like the ticket even stock-but I REALLY want a lock up, and OD for the street, roll racing...ect

if you try a 700r4 at 550 to 600 ur gona hate it. for roll racing put a glide in it. will hold the power and put more to the ground.. ive seen good 700r4s break at 300ft lbs.

u got to remember they came in camaros with 180hp max for a v8. and they still broke.

To be specific-I have no trans to start-

And this would be bolted to a 4 banger-so all the torque (what REALLY breaks parts) will not be there. At most-the car will make 550-60ft lbs at full song. Car will weigh 2200-2400lbs.

Looking around- a TH400 looks like the ticket even stock-but I REALLY want a lock up, and OD for the street, roll racing...ect

2004r will be the best bet for what you wanna do.

Ok-If I do a Glide-

Any way to make the converter lock up? IF not, how much will this affect my MPH vs a T56?

What is the highest realistic stall I can run? Something in the 4-5k range would be tits.

i have seen race converters rated at 8k....

no lock up converters. the looser the converter the more slip there is. id say if ur going to drive it and you want it close to a lock up go with a 10" converter about 3500 stall.

7" converter more slip

8" less

9" evan less

10 u get the picture. closer to a 10" will allow less slip and put more power down. the

ati in the s10 is a fuel blown 10" $1500 converter. full power at 3500 and its done no more slip. a small amout cause its a converter. but damn near full lock. a glide would work good for you cause car is light