Build me a 13.5 car

Benner

Right now I'm sitting at a modest 14.3 with a 2.065 60' on bald street tires. Would like to get to a solid 13.5 on street tires if possible but may end up grabbing a cheap set of nittos or comparible price drag radials.

The transmission is built enough to handle the extra power so no worries on that. Also the torque converter has been bumped up around 500 or so RPM (Can't remember exactly what he put in but the numbers were supposed to be around 500 to 750 higher than stock and it feels like it)

Current mods thus far.

3.4 MPS (Scanned at the drag strip and .1 degrees knock at the top of 2nd gear)

Intense Racing PCM

3 inch Catless Downpipe

104's

180 thermostat

DIY Cold air intake with 4 inch tubing

I'm sure I'm forgetting something

Also planning on picking up Speed Daddy headers this fall but the rest will be over the winter

After the mods I'll have it dyno tuned

Also don't have the money for intercooling.

So lets hear some opinions.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also planning on picking up Speed Daddy headers this fall but the rest will be over the winter

After the mods I'll have it dyno tuned

This.

If you still don't hit 13.5's after those mods, you're doing it wrong. :p

.1* of knock is really good. I had the same mods minus the pulley (mine was stock) and I would ALWAYS get a quick blip of 2.0* KR right when it shifted into 3rd at WOT.

Are a lot of the L67 guys converting to E85 these days?

Also, don't get to the point where you're spending a ton on the car. After the headers and tune I'd stop. So many people get an IC, cam, heads, blower, injectors, rockers, LSD, etc; and then sell or part the car out because they still have trouble hitting 11's.

If you go smaller than a 3.4 you should probably look into an intercooler. And I'd still get a Gen V blower before dropping another pulley size.

no need for a cooler unless going smaller than a 3.0 and you can do a cam with stock heads and a 3.0 safely all day long. Also gen V blower is larger so he would be making more power with the 3.4 on his gen V then the stock blower.. Also they are not cheap and he would need to either extend the fuel lines or get a new rail to clear a gen V. If he wet 3.0 on a gen V he def would need a cam intercooler and some heads etc etc...

headers, 3 inch d/p, 3.0, cam, springs, intake, and a tune and you should be able to hit 12s if you can drive...

headers, d/p, 3.4, tires, intake and tune you should be able to crack a high 13

no need for a cooler unless going smaller than a 3.0 and you can do a cam with stock heads and a 3.0 safely all day long. Also gen V blower is larger so he would be making more power with the 3.4 on his gen V then the stock blower

Yeah thats what I was getting at, you won't really see significant gains if you're still rockin the stock blower. Does anyone run a 3.0 pulley on a stock M90?

That would be the first thing I would do, pulley and a tune then headers.

Can't drop any further on pulley size without more supporting mods. That .1 degree of knock would be horrible if I dropped a pulley size. These engines don't respond good to knock.

Yeah thats what I was getting at, you won't really see significant gains if you're still rockin the stock blower. Does anyone run a 3.0 pulley on a stock M90?

Don't want to invest the money on a gen V right now. I'll probably end up porting the hell out of this one.

I've actually seen 2.8 on them.

Can't drop any further on pulley size without more supporting mods. That .1 degree of knock would be horrible if I dropped a pulley size. These engines don't respond good to knock.

Exactly. Chipped pistons are a bad thing lol. I've heard of guys running with a 3.4 and having faster times than similar cars with a 3.2 or less. Smaller pulley size isn't always the answer

Best set up I had on my GTP was a cam, headers and tune. (of course I had the t-stat, plugs, yadda yadda) But I was running a stock cat back (minus the cat). and had a 3.2 pulley on the streets. Could run 13.2's all day on street tires (and 1.9 60fts) and with a little race gas and slicks I was running 12.7's.

annnnd....

My point exactly lol.

IMO it's not really worth it unless you do the work yourself and buy used parts

http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PP_3800SC_4&Category_Code=PP&Product_Count=3

$1000 cheaper but for that $1000 you get cam and exhaust plus a few other things.

Best set up I had on my GTP was a cam, headers and tune. (of course I had the t-stat, plugs, yadda yadda) But I was running a stock cat back (minus the cat). and had a 3.2 pulley on the streets. Could run 13.2's all day on street tires (and 1.9 60fts) and with a little race gas and slicks I was running 12.7's.

And it could barely get away from a 4000lb 250hp car from a roll....:p