SUV in park but still rolls

Buck531

I've taken possession of an 03 Dodge Durango. The car goes into park but the car will still roll. The owner said that he talked to someone and it could be a parking "pin" or something. Any ideas?

Also, the parking brake itself doesn't work. I'm not sure on Dodges but are the rear brakes disc brakes and they have the little "drum" inside the rotor?

Did a quick google and found this:

http://www.arfc.org/autos/dodge/durango/recalls/000022316000201366000000180/recall.aspx

Could I just call up a Dodge dealership and have them fix the problem for free? Since it was a recall?

Probably not for that particular recall...

Manufactured between 9/1/2004 - 6/1/2005

I ran into this issue (not the parking the recall) with a 2004 chevy pickup once where there was a recall for the next model year for the same issue I was having. I just spoke with the dealership and got a very discounted rate to get it fixed.

Probably not for that particular recall...

Manufactured between 9/1/2004 - 6/1/2005

Yeah I just threw that as an example. There was a recall for like every truck after '00 up until now. I'm sure there's a recall for the truck. I'll talk to a dealership tomorrow and see what they say.

Any idea on the brakes?

Yeah I figured as much. I already looked it up on Oreileys but wasn't sure if it had the drum deal inside the rotor.

Yeah, I posted the link just for the pic that shows the inner area. Oddly, the site shows a rear drum as well as that rear rotor. Maybe different between V6 and 8? Dunno.

Yeah, I posted the link just for the pic that shows the inner area. Oddly, the site shows a rear drum as well as that rear rotor. Maybe different between V6 and 8? Dunno.

I think the V8 was the only option for that year. A 4.9 (I think) and the 5.9.

I'll figure it out tomorrow when he drops it off.