Piece me together an AR-15

Mojoe

Here's what I'm looking for:

Pretty basic, almost standard issue A3 M-16 set up. I would like to keep it under $900. However, I could have sworn I have seen these for less.

Iron sights are a must, doesn't have to have a rail, doesn't have to have a adjustable stock. If it does have these items, that's fine too. Does not have to be new, but does need to be very well cared for.

I've been told that piecing one together is the best deal for the $. I don't follow names and makes on the civilians side. So this thread is to save me the time and to get some opinions on building one. Once I have everything, I know what to do with it. I just have not kept up with what can be bought and who makes what.

Thanks

You could do something cheap and basic with a low-tier parts kit (model 1, etc) for closer to $600 pretty easily. If you want to get good stuff you could go with a bravo company upper kit, which will run you about $100. Either way lowers can be had just about anywhere for about $100 shipped, and the parts to finish it will run $80-$120 depending on what kind of stock you want, etc. I'd figure $600ish for a cheapie plinker, or $750ish for a nicer well-respected make. If you semi-build yourself, which is super super super easy.

That's off the top of my head, the prices may have changed a bit in the last few months.

I know of a great place that gives them out for free, just have to sign this small piece of paper...

and give your life away for 4 years

:D

I signed over 18 years ago and have been teaching this weapon at least 15 years of that.

I guess what I should have added to this is the reliability factor. It had slipped my mind that with a lower cost may come less quality in the parts made. I would assume that given what it's made for, the quality should be a right up there in a good way. However, being that it's on the civilian side, that's whay I'm asking these things to those of you who may have experianced lower quality parts.

The info given thus far is very helpful. I will read up on what was posted. Thanks and keep the info coming.

I will say that if you want a decent plinker/trainer that is still reliable, I would look at Del-Ton parts kits + a stripped lower or Double Star parts kits + a stripped lower. I personally like Armalite and AGP Arms stripped lowers, but as long as it is forged, you are G2G. Either of these will be serviceable and probably just as much as you need. Cost should be around ~650 with shipping/FFL fees (for lower). I have a DoubleStar M4 clone that is my trainer and it has well over 5000 rounds of Wolf/Brown Bear/XM193 through it and still chugging along just fine.

I am looking at doing a M16A4 clone build on one of the custom run lowers that I am getting in a few weeks and this is my build list:

Bravo Company Manuf. A3 upper complete with 20in barrel

Standard A2 stock/buffer kit

Daniel Defense Lower Parts kit

Sights/Glass to be determined later

Should run ~800 after shipping plus the cost of lower. Not as inexpensive, but a rifle that you can stake your life on without any bells and whistles.

Hope this helps. GL

I like the info. I may be leaning more toward this:

Bravo Company Manuf. A3 upper complete with 20in barrel

Standard A2 stock/buffer kit

Daniel Defense Lower Parts kit

Sights/Glass to be determined later

Should run ~800 after shipping plus the cost of lower. Not as inexpensive, but a rifle that you can stake your life on without any bells and whistles.

Del-ton.com complete rifle kit, choose your options, buy a stripped lower and a magazine. That's it.

Thats what i did. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81314

basic kits are under $500 with the options i got, mine was $700. $100 for a lower and then some accesories i spent less then $1000. i just received my eotech friday and my .22LR conversion kit is on it's way for plinking. :) i waited 3 months for mine because they were waiting on barrels and then my cousin ordered his kit which is the same as mine 2 weeks after i got mine and his only took 2 weeks to receive.

http://i47.tinypic.com/106wk92.jpg

Not sure if you're shooting towards the M16 full length style 20" barrel or would lean towards the M4 16" barrel. I guess it's all within preference, but like anything you'll always want to do more, or put more on it. With that said, you can find a middle ground. As with Rob's set up above, it leaves room for more, so I will do a little leg work here.

Let's begin:

BCM Upper 16" - $520 (to include bolt/charging handle)

MI Handguard/Rail - $129

Spikes Tactical Stripped lower - $90

Lower build kit to include MOE Grip/Stock/Trigger guard and Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit - $149

$888 now this is excluding a rear sight. I prefer a flip up, but you can go with a traditional carrying handle set up. Tack on another $50-$100 depending on which one you go with. All in all, this gives you a very nice platform to begin with and build upon later if you felt the need.

Granted this took me 4 minutes to piece together, while keeping price a factor. Here's a few websites to check out:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com

http://www.brownells.com

http://www.midwayusa.com

Just to name a few :cool:

Thanks Scotty. I'm fine with the 16 inch barrel. I do enjoy my MOUNT training and the ease of the shorter barrel. I have not seen a flip up sight that I like yet and do very well with what is on at standard A3. Some of these sight add ons look like they would get hung up on all kinds of shit in your gear, so stock is looking ok for me. Another thing is the Stock it's self. I shot a friends AR and I didn't enjoy it at all. I hope to god there are some buffer spring options. His we very uncomfortable to shoot. Looked cool though.Just needs to absorb more of the recoil.

Recoil also has a lot to do with which gas system you run. If you plan on running a 20" bbl and want low recoil, find a bbl with a rifle length system on it. If you go with a 16"er, try to find one with a middy system on it. And they do have all sorts of spring, and pneumatic buffers if you want to play around with that as well. If you want to get really hardcore, start milling some chunks out of your carrier, and roll your own ammo.

Thanks Scotty. I'm fine with the 16 inch barrel. I do enjoy my MOUNT training and the ease of the shorter barrel. I have not seen a flip up sight that I like yet and do very well with what is on at standard A3. Some of these sight add ons look like they would get hung up on all kinds of shit in your gear, so stock is looking ok for me. Another thing is the Stock it's self. I shot a friends AR and I didn't enjoy it at all. I hope to god there are some buffer spring options. His we very uncomfortable to shoot. Looked cool though.Just needs to absorb more of the recoil.

A standard A4 carrying handle should be perfect for your needs. And of course later on it can be removed if you get into reflexive sights or scopes. As for recoil, I do agree some of the stocks don't absorb recoil like others. Personally I despise the standard M4 style stock, where as my LMT MRP has the SOPMOD stock and it's nothing shy of awesome. The magpul CTR with the rubber pad is also another good option, but there is a few buffer set ups to reduce felt recoil. Once I'm back in December you'll have to shoot some of my AR's and see what you like, but I can promise my LMT will win your heart.

Example of new Buffer to help with recoil:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ST-T2-Heavy-Buffer-by-Spikes-Tactical-p/st-t2.htm

If you can wait til December Joe, I have more than a couple complete lowers I can toss uppers on. I'm pretty sure I can get you something together for the $900 range that will suit your fancy if you're interested. Not to mention, I'll throw in some ammo with it. I can save you the hastle of finding parts :)