Head warpage specification

Crossle

Call Silver Drive CarQuest (or walk there). They have a full machine shop. I have a feeling that you have a junk head though. The exhaust valve is too close to the deck and if it needs machined, it will interfere. If its the same as this Kia Spectra I just did a head on recently which I believe is the same engine

Well it's warped less than 178 thousandths. The frickin' feeler gauge set I've got sucks I suppose I could have found another set around the shop, but 178 thousandths won't even start to slide underneath my straight edge which is far enough away from 240 that I feel comfortable.

Word. Best of luck with the rebuild. I recently tore down a sonata to replace a cylinder head because a timing belt left go only 1k outside of its service period only to find the valve had broken, put a hole in the piston, and welded itself in the top of the piston.

spec max is 120 thou, service is 240 thou

Alldatapro.com says:

.03mm (.0012 in) max spec and .06mm (.0024 in) limit

That is 12 TEN thousandths and 24 TEN thousandths.

Much smaller then 120 thousandths (.120 in) or 240 thousandths (.240)

Alldatapro.com says:

.03mm (.0012 in) max spec and .06mm (.0024 in) limit

That is 12 TEN thousandths and 24 TEN thousandths.

Much smaller then 120 thousandths (.120 in) or 240 thousandths (.240)

mitchell said .120 and .240, thats why alldata is much better than mitchell. the metric numbers were consistent though. :confused: i thought it was a little on the big side but who am i to question the internets lol

Ok ondemand is saying .003" (.08mm) over 6" span of head, or .006" (.15mm) over entire span of head requires resurfacing. It did not specify a number for the head being "too warped". Although I suppose I would have to find a cylinder head thickness limit and measure that way.

Alldata (not pro) reads in a column "spec" .03mm .0012" AND column "limit" .06mm .0024" which I read as "spec" being if you are at or under slap a new gasket on and go and "limit" being machine work is necessary.