870 Express vs 870 Police Model

Scotty2Hotty

I've been in the market for another scattergun lately (pump gun), and kept seeing the 870 HD models and some of the 870P models. I assumed P = Police version, but I hadn't known the huge difference between them. Here's the release from Remington for those interested:

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/articles/870ExpvsPol6-30-05.pdf

I believe on average there's atleast a $300 difference in these shotguns. Granted, it's comparible to Mossberg 500 vs 590A1. Granted, dollar per dollar, your plain jane 870 can be turned into the exact same shotgun.

The forend on the Police 870 is shorter on the action end. This helps to prevent some jamming if binding with clothing occurred.

Also, the Stock is a lil bit shorter.

This is from my own personal experience with my Police Take Odd hardware.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

The forend on the Police 870 is shorter on the action end. This helps to prevent some jamming if binding with clothing occurred.

Also, the Stock is a lil bit shorter.

This is from my own personal experience with my Police Take Odd hardware.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I think stock 870 (LOP) is 14"+. I know most of the shorter stocks are around 12" LOP. I figured there was a bit more to the Police model than the express. I've found Midway has a majority of the parts to convert my 870 HD, but I may just toss the coin at the Police model. I need another project :)

Have you looked at the 887?

Yeah, it's a bit too "tacticool" for my taste. The breacher style choke, and the picatiny on top isn't my cup of tea. I'm a fan of the ghost rings after I shot my 590A1 and a Scattergun technologies boarder patrol model 870. Granted, I haven't read the specs on it to know enough about it yet. It'll probably sell pretty good though with the shift in the market towards tactical/military/LE weapons.

• 2 weeks later...