AR15 Help

timmy43016

So I have been searching around and want to get a better answers than what I have found to date.

I want to build my first AR. I am used to the M16 from my miltary days, but want something a little more. I want to build a 7.62 AR and start looking at competitive shooting. Although not new to shooting, I am new to what my options even are.

So the questions I have are:

Lower receivers...I will be getting a stripped lower and I want to know what companies are the best and why. What makes a DPMS better than something I get from Del-ton? Does it just actually boil down to trigger pull rather than the lowers manufacturer?

What trigger pull would be optimal? Im not looking for a 10 pound trigger pull, but I am looking for what would be best for movement reduction.

Barrels...so barrels I have been looking at and I keep seeing tons of different configurations with some being expensive. I understand you get what you pay for material wise, but does a fluted barrel perform any better than a smooth barrel?

Bolt carrier groups...There are quite a few manufacturers of these and price ranges fluctuate...

To make a long story short I am just trying get educated...so much of peoples money get wasted by assuming they know what they are doing. I know how to shoot, but so many options exist that can enhance my experience that i would be foolish to pretend that i know what to build...

Why would you want to choose to get into 7.62 in an AR platform to competitively shoot?

Maybe I am missing something?

Its just what I am used to (7.62 in general and not in AR platform). More comfort than anything. I took a CCW class over the weekend and I had never thought about competitive shooting or even shooting in general after leaving the marines. I miss everything about it. I spoke with a couple of the instructors during breaks and they were suggesting getting into NRA certs and comp shooting etc. I just listened to them instead of asking what platforms or caliburs would be best. What would be your choice instead? Just curious...again I am being objective and will listen to what you all have to say.

M1A or a bolt gun. I dislike the AR platform with a passion, though so I am very biased. I can respect it in the 5.56, but see no purpose for a 308AR. Have you looked at the costs of magazines yet?

Where did you take your CCW?

Where were you stationed?

M1A or a bolt gun. I dislike the AR platform with a passion, though so I am very biased. I can respect it in the 5.56, but see no purpose for a 308AR. Have you looked at the costs of magazines yet?

Where did you take your CCW?

Where were you stationed?

Fair enough...I was also looking at a remington 700, but want to fire it before diving into that. I have no looked at costs although I can imagine from your statement that they are steep.

I took the CCW at the powder room in powell. Not bad...long classroom and some redundant info, but some of the people in the class needed it reinforced a few times.

I spent some time in Lejeune India Co and good old 29 stumps...I ran for the hills when my time was up, but miss it more and more every day. Maybe trying to get back into shooting after 10 years is my way of reliving what i hayed and yet miss at the same time.

Well, Semper Fi sir. I would be more than happy to educate you on some things here and there since I learned since I was out, etc.... but I don't really want to sit here and type all night.

If you want to meet up sometime, let me know and I can give you the run down on some stuff. I have some opinions, but I was a scout and I worked in the gun industry for about 6 and a half years so I guess I do have a little bit of background.

Well, Semper Fi sir. I would be more than happy to educate you on some things here and there since I learned since I was out, etc.... but I don't really want to sit here and type all night.

If you want to meet up sometime, let me know and I can give you the run down on some stuff. I have some opinions, but I was a scout and I worked in the gun industry for about 6 and a half years so I guess I do have a little bit of background.

Ah you as well. I will shoot you a PM. I would love to pick your brain.

Fuck that rifle shooting noise. Start doing competitive pistol shooting. Esp. if you were getting your ccw too. There a range in circleville that does uspsa matches and im sure some other ranges near you do it. Heres their website http://uspsa.com/ , also theres idpa which is ok. http://idpa.com/

and yours truly.

Fuck that rifle shooting noise. Start doing competitive pistol shooting. Esp. if you were getting your ccw too. There a range in circleville that does uspsa matches and im sure some other ranges near you do it. Heres their website http://uspsa.com/ , also theres idpa which is ok. http://idpa.com/

and yours truly.

I will check that out also. That sounds like fun as well. Rifles are still my favorite, but pistols are def fun.

This man speaks truth! Greg showed me a money maker M1 Garand capable of MOA @ 1000 yards. I'd stick with the M1 chasis for a competition .30 caliber rifle. I understand the DMR role of an AR in 7.62 for the Military, since the ergonomics are similar to the M4/M16 platform. But for instance, the LMT308MWS will run you about $3K without glass, and 2 mags to boot.

The M1A I picked up, I can find NATO 7.62X51mm ball for $11/20 rounds, mags from Checkmate are around $30, and it's a rock solid rifle. For the price of a 7.62 AR, you can be in the Match M1A price range and be impressed.

Well, I'll disagree and say that an M1A platform will cost you a fortune to keep up with an AR platform, and you'll be screwing with it regularly to keep competitive. It's the 1911 of rifles- if you want to tinker and fit, then that's what you want. Last I checked, .308 AR mags were under $20, which is less than what I usually see good M1A mags for. It is much, much easier to make an accurate AR. It's cheaper and easier yet to make an accurate bolt gun, especially in .30 caliber. You could get a savage, good optics, and ammo that will outshoot an M1a all day long for much less money.

by 7.62 i hope you mean 7.62x51 (.308) and not 7.62x39. what style competitions are you looking at doing sniper or rattle battle style comps, where speed is necessary you might be better off sticking with the 5.56 or going with the 6.5 that will have close to the same performance as the .308 but with less felt recoil.

and for trigger pull the superior arms lower has a pretravel trigger adjustment but it's not needed just get a stock trigger bend the spring and polish the faces and you will have 1-2mm of pretravel and an easy smooth pull.

not sure where you shoot at but your more then welcome to try mine i also have an R700 you can shoot.

Edited by Rob