True or False

AWW$HEEET

21k miles for an 03 Ducati Monster 800 is too many miles.

No way is that too many. Only 3k miles a year?

The low mileage bikes scare me more than the high mileage ones. Low miles generally means it was sitting for at least one long stretch, maybe more. But as said above, everything depends on how well it was maintained.

The low mileage bikes scare me more than the high mileage ones. Low miles generally means it was sitting for at least one long stretch, maybe more. But as said above, everything depends on how well it was maintained.

Agreed

+1 applies to cars as well. We have a Del Sol at the shop with 20K miles on it and it needs about 1K worth of work due to it sitting too long.

typical italian ticking time bomb

0, 10K, 100K miles...if there's one thing Italians are good at, it's fucking simple things up. This is what happened when they tried to get into the bicycle making business:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBsJ9mRrDMzz4P11-Ah9V2NqvKjHesh-kaIVe7yJoS2CINMHg&t=1&usg=__at0vwcynJglIdflRv5zlgWIb-zA=

Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts.

21K is nothing. It is all in how you take care of it. A bike will last just as long as a car given it is taken care of and maintained. People just do not ride as much as they drive hence you do not see that many higher mileage bikes.

Run away! Everyone I know with a Ducati is working on it constantly, which leads to them never wanting to ride it. I don't have many Ducati friends though.

My 999 is over five years old and I've put 27k miles on it. I've worn-out the clutch (dry clutch, not known for its longevity), had the oil changed every 3 thou, had the valves adjusted three times, replaced the chain, and put a number of sets of tires on it. Not exactly "working on it constantly." :p

In August, 2005, I rode it 1,027 miles in 20 hours, 21 minutes in an Iron Butt ride ..... hardly something a fragile bike would endure. :gtfo:

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/999.jpg

23k miles a lot? Buwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I feel better.

Seriously though, a girl just rolled over 100K on her bike on Ohio Riders last week.

100k on a jap bike, no problem. 100k on a Duc, new motor at least once if not at least a new valve train.

Ducs arent made for the everyday joe blow that doesnt make real good money

100k on a jap bike, no problem. 100k on a Duc, new motor at least once if not at least a new valve train.

Ducs arent made for the everyday joe blow that doesnt make real good money

Not true. I know two guys with 80K+ on MultiStradas. As long as you do your maintenance including valve check/shim, you should be fine.