Learn me on diamonds

Scotty2Hotty

Basically, I have no idea about diamonds, other they come in bigger sizes, they cut em' different, and they shine. SO, I figured a few guys on here have bought their share of these sparkling woman pleasers. Basically, I'm looking to pick up a set of 1/2 carat diamond earrings as a gift. (Not trying to go giant, nor too damn small either) I guess my main question revolves around all the earrings I've found that are 1/2 carat. I've seen prices from $500-$1,300, and I'm still unsure as to if there is a difference between the $500 pair and the $1,300 pair. I'm trying to ensure I get what I'm buying, so anyone have any suggestions on where to shop?

Basically, I have no idea about diamonds, other they come in bigger sizes, they cut em' different, and they shine. SO, I figured a few guys on here have bought their share of these sparkling woman pleasers. Basically, I'm looking to pick up a set of 1/2 carat diamond earrings as a gift. (Not trying to go giant, nor too damn small either) I guess my main question revolves around all the earrings I've found that are 1/2 carat. I've seen prices from $500-$1,300, and I'm still unsure as to if there is a difference between the $500 pair and the $1,300 pair. I'm trying to ensure I get what I'm buying, so anyone have any suggestions on where to shop?

I don't think you have to worry as much with quality when it comes to diamonds in earrings versus diamonds in, say, an engagement ring. That's because women don't examine the diamonds in earrings the way they examine (i.e., scrutinize) the diamonds in an engagement ring. So, with less examination (i.e., again, scrutiny), there comes greater leeyway for you, the buyer.

I don't think there's going to be that much difference when it comes to diamond earrings between a $500 set and a $1300 pair. The vendor trying to sell you the $1300 may say, "But these are high quality diamonds!" And my reply would be, "Listen, brah, they're earrings, not an engagement ring. I don't care about their technical specs as much as I care about (1) how big they are and (2) if they look like I think they should." And then my magical car KITT normally chimes in with, "Excellent reasoning, Michael."

Eight-hundred dollars is a fairly significant price difference, and, IMHO, I don't think you'll be able to see that difference clearly between the two sets of earrings. So, all things being equal, I'd be inclined to just go with the cheaper set, as I don't think the more expensive set really would be worth the difference.

If you are buying here in Columbus, wait until you get here and I'll take you to my friend who is a broker and custome maker. His place is full of stuff you can pick and choose, plus it's always nice getting buzzed into a place that is completely over looked. Reading on line would prelobably be better than asking someone not in the business.

Let me know.

I don't think you have to worry as much with quality when it comes to diamonds in earrings versus diamonds in, say, an engagement ring. That's because women don't examine the diamonds in earrings the way they examine (i.e., scrutinize) the diamonds in an engagement ring. So, with less examination (i.e., again, scrutiny), there comes greater leeyway for you, the buyer.

I don't think there's going to be that much difference when it comes to diamond earrings between a $500 set and a $1300 pair. The vendor trying to sell you the $1300 may say, "But these are high quality diamonds!" And my reply would be, "Listen, brah, they're earrings, not an engagement ring. I don't care about their technical specs as much as I care about (1) how big they are and (2) if they look like I think they should." And then my magical car KITT normally chimes in with, "Excellent reasoning, Michael."

Eight-hundred dollars is a fairly significant price difference, and, IMHO, I don't think you'll be able to see that difference clearly between the two sets of earrings. So, all things being equal, I'd be inclined to just go with the cheaper set, as I don't think the more expensive set really would be worth the difference.

Thank you sir. Pretty sure, that's all she'll be wearing after I give them to her anyways :) I was told 1/2 carat diamonds are a good starting point aswell.

If you are buying here in Columbus, wait until you get here and I'll takenyoubto my friend who is a broker and custome maker. His place is full of stuff you can pick and choose plus, its always nice getting bizzed into a place that is completely over looked. Reading on line would prelobably be better than asking someone not in the business.

Let me know.

Awesome! I'll deffinately be in touch, since I'll need them by the 28th of December. Like I said, I just want to make sure I get what I pay for and they look good. It would be so much easier if she liked guns or cars.....

DeBeers controls 95% of all diamonds that hit the market.

Mark up on stones is retarded. like a 1k stone is worth about $100, i shit you not.

Scott, ask the dealer if the stone is a natural or a synthetic when you go in. If its a synthetic, you should get it for about 1/10th the price of a natural stone(s). This is very important because stores legally have to tell you whether it is or isnt a man made stone if they have the documents. Unfortunately most stores "lose" the papers and at that point have no legal obligation to verify the origin of the stone (kinda fucked up). The good way to tell if it is a synthetic is if its been colored (most stones on the market are artificially colored these days). If you need any help with this let me know, ive learned more than i ever wanted to know about stones over the last couple of months.