Changing coolant hose on R6.

chrisknight

I'm changing the coolant in my R6. Mainly because the outer most hose off of the water pump has a cut in it. Not all the way through so there were no leaks. I have a new hose from the parts store cut to size but I cant for the life of me slide it onto the water pump nipple because its too tight.

Can I lube the hose with anything?

Thanks,

Chris

i would suggest getting the oem part from somewhere. hoses can be tricky. for instance, the material your autozone hose is made of might not be chemically compatible with the coolant in the motorcycle. if you really dont want to buy the oem hose, i still think you have the wrong size, or you got a hose that is too thick. if the hose is too thick they can be really hard to press on to barb fittings, and you dont want to lube a hose, unless you have hose clamps to cinch it down afterwards. although lube makes it easier to get on, its also easier to get off, so while hoses usually use friction to stay on, you would need another means of fastening if you use lube.

spit makes the world go round...

I use an aircraft sealant meant for crush gaskets that don't get sealant. Meaning that leaks on aircraft up in the air are bad. No place to pull over. So everything gets sealed anyway. NAPA Aviation Form-A-Gasket sealant liquid made by Permatex. I use it on crush gaskets, hoses, and threads of bolts that go into water jackets. I've even used it on head gaskets. Especially motorcycle head gaskets around the oil channels, where head gaskets always want to leak oil. Basically, if it is a crush gasket that isn't supposed to be sealed, and it has water or oil behind it, I use this stuff to make sure it doesn't leak later on. That's what it is for. Works great on hoses.