Movie Review: The Fighter

Otis Nice

Went to Marcus late last night with a few buddies. Couldn't decide on a movie so we chose 'The Fighter' b/c it looked like a decent enough 'Rocky' wannabe film and the start time worked out for us.

It tells the story of Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg), former Welter Weight World Champion Boxer, and his brother Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale) and his fall from "fame". It follows both younger brother Micky's boxing career and Dicky's drug addiction and the effects of their lifestyles on each other and those around them. Christian Bale did great. Really didn't expect that good of a performance. They show a clip of the real brothers during the credits and his mannerisms are spot on.

I recommend.

I have been wanting to see this since the day I saw the trailer about 2 months ago. I am a huge, huge, Rocky fan and instantly thought "oh shit, its the real life Rocky Balboa". I am hoping my gf suprises me tonight for my bday (well early bday present) and takes me out to see it.

It isn't really a "boxing movie", it's more of a drama with a little bit of boxing thrown in. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent film, it just doesn't have the fighting that a lot of other boxing movies have.

Nice Abs bro.

How was this compared to say Cinderella Man, which I think is one of my favorites of all time.

Go see it NOW. seriously, one of the best movies I have seen all year. mark wahlberg is the fucking man like always, and christian bale should get a god damn academy award for this. great movie, I give it two thumbs up. certified just too sweeeeeeet

Saw it tonight with the fiance' and we both really liked it. Bale's acting in this is pure gold and if he doesn't get an oscar nod, something is really wrong. Wahlberg was good as expected, but Amy Adams's roll was the surprise of the film for me. I thought she did a fantastic job.