good 1911

Rgreen

The newer kimbers have to break in. Mine wasn't worth a damn until I put 450 rounds down the tube.

+1. I have 250 rounds through mine and still jams all the time. I am hoping to put another 300 rounds down soon and if I have the same problem I am going to be pretty ticked off.

You'll probably be happier is you just buy a basic Springfield for $500ish and spend a couple hundred bucks on good mags and practice ammo. Keep in mind if you buy a used 1911, they're a little more maintenance intensive than most other pistols.

older kimbers were more reliable i have read, but the new construction is doo doo

They were until Ron Cohen came. He was their CEO for awhile. While he put out great fiscal #'s for Kimber, it came at the price of decreased quality and reputation. Unfortunately, Sig hired him as their CEO in 2006 and Sig is now turning into another Kimber. He's doing the same god damn thing to them. :mad:

My next 1911 will be in 10mm probably something like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=212526949

You shoud check them out they are in your budget.

I want one too. the only bad thing about my glock 10mm is since its a double stack its so damn wide. I'd like to have a single stack 1911 bad!

The newer kimbers have to break in. Mine wasn't worth a damn until I put 450 rounds down the tube.

My $300 Rock Island jammed once during the first mag I ever ran through it, and never again until it was so dirty the slide wouldn't fully seat. Took about a 1,000 rounds to get to that point. Guns shouldn't need break in time if they are well made in the first place, and yes I am saying my $300 Rock Island is a better gun than a $700+ Kimber.