FFL and Class 3 SOT License.

dover

Are you just trying to buy an NFA toy?

If so, there is no FFL or 'license' required.

When you buy such a toy, you will fill out certain forms, provide finger prints, etc., get permission from local law enforcement chief, pay the $200 tax stamp and pay a qualified Class 3 dealer (or dealers if out of State purchase) to do the transfer. This process takes several months AFTER you buy the toy.

Edit:

Scroll down on this page to find better instructions...

http://www.impactguns.com/store/howtoorder.html

If you want to become a Class 3 dealer, that's an entirely different subject!

I want to buy a suppressor and/or maybe an auto.

Thank you for the info, are there any benefits to becoming a dealer? (other than the norm of being able to sell the stuff)

Nothing. You go to pound me in the ass prison for using an FFL to your collection benefit over being a dealer.

Suppressors are fairly affordable ($250-$1000 depending on application) but still require the one time $200 transfer tax to be paid to the federal government and you will still need to pay the Class 3 dealer fees to complete the Form 4. And then the months of waiting.

Your least expensive route to get into full auto guns is to buy a M-10 or M-11 which can be found for $3000-$4000 plus tax stamp and dealer fees.

And don't forget the ammo...LOTS and LOTS of ammo... :)

I think you have to have a store front (or separated portion of your house) to become a dealer with an FFL01. You at least have to be able to show that you are really a dealer and not just someone who wants to build a personal collection, as the others have already mentioned. You must also store your personal firearms separately from the 'business' firearms inventory. It's not cheap either and there is quite a bit of paper work that YOU are required to store until your license expires, at which it must be sent to the BATFE.

To get Class 3 SOT(Special Occupational Tax) status, you need to have either a dealer or manufacturer FFL and then pay $500 each year in addition to the FFL fees. I imagine that there are some more hoops to jump through and plenty of waiting to obtain the Class 3 SOT status, as well.