520 conversion

that dude

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90 dollars IS high, That job shouldn't even take an hour ? there is absolutly nothing to it. get a chain press tool and just trust yourself enough to knock it out. It's ubereasy !!

You realy should take the time to learn to wrench on your own bike. You will save a ton of money in the long run. I'm just learning and have been riding for 30 years. I wish I had all that money back, I paid out in labor !

If someone does it for you, just watch and ask questions, You'll kick yourself for ever having someone do that job for ya !

don't know where chippewa is, but it don't sound close to me ? Too bad, I would show you how and burn one too. LOL

I hate to ask, but... why do people switch from 530 to 520? I figure it's the weight savings. Both 530 and 520 have the same dimensions, except for the width of chain and sprockets. Same side plates on the links, in other words, but narrower rollers on the 520.

Curious Cat

^you are referring to sprocket change t-dude,

recon is referring to the chain width. and yes recon typically for weight savings, unsprung weight etc... less rotating weight can lead to better performance.

plus normally at least the yamaha factory come stock with 532 pitch, the 520 is the most common size out there right now so if you ever need sprockets and chains when the time comes its easily accessible.

there is talk about chain life with the 520 vs 530, but with the prices of chains nowadays it becomes a null statement IMO.

90 dollars IS high, That job shouldn't even take an hour ? there is absolutly nothing to it. get a chain press tool and just trust yourself enough to knock it out. It's ubereasy !!

You realy should take the time to learn to wrench on your own bike. You will save a ton of money in the long run. I'm just learning and have been riding for 30 years. I wish I had all that money back, I paid out in labor !

If someone does it for you, just watch and ask questions, You'll kick yourself for ever having someone do that job for ya !

don't know where chippewa is, but it don't sound close to me ? Too bad, I would show you how and burn one too. LOL

Actually, it would be about an hour plus. Take off the wheel, take off the counter sprocket and rear sprocket and install all. Cutting the chain is no biggie and putting on a new one is easy, but that's a pretty fair shop rate...

I hate to ask, but... why do people switch from 530 to 520? I figure it's the weight savings. Both 530 and 520 have the same dimensions, except for the width of chain and sprockets. Same side plates on the links, in other words, but narrower rollers on the 520.

Curious Cat

It saves over a pound in rotational mass. Street use? No benefit. Other than getting a gold chain and different sprockets as it is hard to get gearing in 530 sizes...

What I did to prevent having to take off the front sprocket cover was I attached the new chain to the old with a twistie tie and fed it though, then took off the tie and riveted it up. Just an easy way tip for you guys. ;)

Edited by NinjaNick

That - If you can ride down here, I can do it pretty quick and easy. It's a matter of tools and such. I got everything needed...

Let me know.

thanks brian for the offer, but tony (luvssuzukis) is going to give me a hand, or more like the other way around! i appreciate the offers fellas :cheers: