Making an IPhone app

,,,,,,comma,,,,,,

You could always write it in Java and compile it for use in both Android and iPhone. I'm actually trying to do the same thing, so I'm trying to learn Java in my free time. It would be a lot easier if I had someone that could just program it, but I don't want my idea stolen.

You could always write it in Java and compile it for use in both Android and iPhone. I'm actually trying to do the same thing, so I'm trying to learn Java in my free time. It would be a lot easier if I had someone that could just program it, but I don't want my idea stolen.

How are you teaching yourself java? Id like to learn a language.

How are you teaching yourself java? Id like to learn a language.

Well, it appears fairly intuitive, but there's a lot of formatting I have to learn. Pretty much, I'm reading some things on the web and example code in order to make my own.

I've been spending my lunches tweaking code, loading the emulator, tweaking again, loading the emulator, etc. It's driving me nuts when I don't know why it doesn't work right.

I looked into it, and also into porting our android app over to iOS. iOS apps are written in Objective-C (I don't think you can do it in java), where Android is in Java (you can also do it in C/C++). You have to pay a fee (yearly i believe, about $100) to even get the iOS SDK, then you have to get it approved and all that fun stuff.

Download and install the java jdk, android sdk, make apps. To publish apps on the Android market is a one time fee of I think $30 and you can have as many apps as you like. Also, Android is now the 2nd largest mobile OS in the world with over 25% and catching up to symbian fast, where iOS is only 16% in world market shares and dropping.

So not only is it easier to start, but it's a larger and growing market. I also only know java and C++ and not Objective-C so it's better for me in that way too.

Download and install the java jdk, android sdk, make apps. To publish apps on the Android market is a one time fee of I think $30 and you can have as many apps as you like. Also, Android is now the 2nd largest mobile OS in the world with over 25% and catching up to symbian fast, where iOS is only 16% in world market shares and dropping.

So not only is it easier to start, but it's a larger and growing market. I also only know java and C++ and not Objective-C so it's better for me in that way too.

Rain on your parade

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/verizon-breaks-first-day-sales-record-with-iphone-4-pre-orders/

kickass - I found an open source code compiler for smartphone apps. If you write in java it will compile for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. Thoughts?

I d/ld the Android SDK and got part way through the iOS d/l. To d/l the iOS SDK you do not need to pay, but you have to register. You only pay if you want to publish, AFAIK.

kickass - I found an open source code compiler for smartphone apps. If you write in java it will compile for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. Thoughts?

I d/ld the Android SDK and got part way through the iOS d/l. To d/l the iOS SDK you do not need to pay, but you have to register. You only pay if you want to publish, AFAIK.

If it works it works, unfortunately it won't be as simple as writing one piece of code and then exporting it to all 3 platforms. Each one will still have to have it's own unique source, at least it's all in one language now. Unless it is that way, and that would be the greatest thing ever, but I don't see that being possible.

I see that now, either they changed it or I misunderstood it when I looked...either way, time to check it out.

If it works it works, unfortunately it won't be as simple as writing one piece of code and then exporting it to all 3 platforms. Each one will still have to have it's own unique source, at least it's all in one language now. Unless it is that way, and that would be the greatest thing ever, but I don't see that being possible.

I see that now, either they changed it or I misunderstood it when I looked...either way, time to check it out.

Hopefully it works then! Looking at some of their examples, they do a few things specific to the iPhone interface, but nothing too special. More like "if iphone, then..."

Java's really pissing me off right now!

The iOS SDK is a long d/l, ugh gonna have to cue that up again when my laptops on a charger.

I just started the registration process but got fed up with all the legal crap you have to fill in since I'm doing it for a company, not really worth it right now.

See that's where I think it will get tricky because obviously iOS and Android are very different. For example your app might have a menu, in Android you have a dedicated menu button, where in iOS it's part of the GUI. So if you are starting fresh it might make sense to make it part of the interface for both, but then you have blackberry which majority doesn't even have a touch screen so there you have to use physical buttons.