Failure to cycle....

RedRocket1647545505

"Ok here's the run down on my build. It started as a 16" carbine which I switched over to a mid length MOE hand guard and a mid length gas tube. I then simply moved the gas block forward and put everything back together the way I felt it should be. Obvious problem is the gun won't cycle. Fires great and is dead on with my iron sights. Problem 2 is after just about each shot the hand guards were popping out of the delta ring. I'm thinking and this is just a new guys guess that i don't have the gas tube back far enough or the Hot Shot Ammo I got yesterday is crap??

Any thoughts here?"

God, people are fucking retarded.

So... You've got a midlength gas system on a carbine barrel? If I read that right, the problem is your gas port is a few inches behind your gas block. Either change back to a carbine system so your gas block lines up with the port in the barrel, or switch to a barrel with a gas port set up for a midlength system.

Edit: problem 2 is caused by problem 1. The open CAR gas port is spewing out gasses and pressurizing your MOE hand guard.

Is this a trivia question? I read you as a gun guru on here.

Edited by JaSSon

I'd put money on it being the gas tube, like Jason was stating. I've always run the carbine length tube, especially on hotter rounds. Do you stovepipe or does it fire one round, then you have to pull the charging handle to extract and engauge a new round?

Hey Scott, if there was no gas at all cycling thru the system would it stove pipe the round? The recoil would extract or partially extract the spent cartridge, but not cycle the next, correct?

Hey Scott, if there was no gas at all cycling thru the system would it stove pipe the round? The recoil would extract or partially extract the spent cartridge, but not cycle the next, correct?

It could, but it's doubtful. Being a direct gas system, it still requires the return of gas to work the bolt. Granted, the small amount of recoil could cause a stove pipe, but it's a small chance. I think if anything, the bolt would hang about 1/2" or so open. It would probably be enough to see a small amount of the brass. From what it sounds like, there's a fair amount of gas blowoff by the gas block.

Is it a low profile gas block? I've heard you'll need to pin it and check alignment a few times to keep it from leaking.

Sounds to me like he's just got the gas block clamped on the wrong position on the barrel.

Is this a serious thread? From my impression I agree that it sounds like the gas block was moved forward and now isn't over the gas port.

Unless you know how your firearm functions I think it would be best to not fuck around, i.e. modifying, with it. Doing so is a decent way of eventually killing yourself or someone else.

"Ok here's the run down on my build. It started as a 16" carbine which I switched over to a mid length MOE hand guard and a mid length gas tube. I then simply moved the gas block forward and put everything back together the way I felt it should be. Obvious problem is the gun won't cycle. Fires great and is dead on with my iron sights. Problem 2 is after just about each shot the hand guards were popping out of the delta ring. I'm thinking and this is just a new guys guess that i don't have the gas tube back far enough or the Hot Shot Ammo I got yesterday is crap??

Any thoughts here?"

God, people are fucking retarded.

Quoted to show ninja text.

Austin, where did you originally find this question?