Carb Tuning - 1850

Major_golf

Are you familiar tuning a Carb? If not, get someone who does. It will save you some grief in the long run.

;)

KillJoy

i am not familiar with tuning a carb but patter$on is and he is ready to shoot it

i was thinking about rebuilding it and see if that does anything but at this point idk

Off idle stumble, likely not getting full effect of the Accelerator pump, Inconsistent opening of secondaries, The jetting may be off a bit, but I haven't pulled the plugs yet. I'm getting 23-25" vacuum at around 800 RPM idle. Floats may be a little high, but I had pulled the sight crews yet to check. Timing is 10' initial, total is 35ish. 22-2500 cruise stumble at times.

Somebody move this to the Tech section. I've owned more carb'd cars than I care to admit, but I'm sure I'm missing something. 1850 is the most basic carb of carbs for four barells there is.

If you haven't checked the floats, and you don't know what jets are in it, you haven't began to "tune" it yet.

Did you adjust linkage for WOT?

Do you know what power valves are in it?

Are you between 5-6 lbs?

What kind of choke (if any) is on it?

Have any acell. pump cams to try?

Was your vacuum reading in gear? I don't even know what kind of trans you have?

If I remember my talks with Derick when he was building this it is running a electric pump with no regulator as well Vince

That's cool if it's a Holley red or some other pump internally regulated to carb psi.

Small Carter pump. 7psi internally regulated. It's not pushing past the needles. It doesnt drip when the pump is on but motor doesn't run. The choke is locked open. Before you could bottom the idle screws and it would keep running. After backing out the curb idle screw 5 or 6 turns it was running on the idle circuit again. The mixture screws are out about one and a half turns.

it is a Manual trans matt said the fp was internally regulated for i think 8 psi

doing some reading i think the pump nozzle needs to be changed or i could increase the idle to around 1200 rpm to make up for the stumble

also reading because of the light weight of said car and high gears it should have a lot bigger accelerator pump as well some where in the area of 50 cc

That whole carb isn't really a great choice for a very light weight, high vacuum car. You can make it work though.