Karting

Limitedslip7

A friend and I are looking to get into some recreational karting this summer and was wondering if there are any tracks around that we could check out and maybe rent a couple different types. My experience is limited to the slow indoor karts at Speeds and similar places. I LOVED Speeds; probably did their five hour unlimited weeknight racing deal at least 15 times. Usually managed to get lap times in the top 10 of the week/month. Not saying I was fast, but perhaps better than the average joes in there. Ran with a few real karters that spanked my ass by several seconds.

Could any experienced karters provide some input? I'd love to pick up a 125cc shifter, but I've heard from a few people that would be like a new motorcyle rider buying a litre bike...

Could any experienced karters provide some input? I'd love to pick up a 125cc shifter, but I've heard from a few people that would be like a new motorcyle rider buying a litre bike...

Just FYI - I have a 125cc TaG Tony Kart that I want to get rid of. If you're interested PM me. It would be a great way to start out and the chassis has very low miles. I bought it from a guy that only ran a handful of practice days in it, then I ran one practice day and haven't been able to use it since. Everything goes with it; kart, extra sprokets, MyCron Lap timer, new steering wheel, new seat, heavy duty stand with inflateable tires, matching fire suit (if you fit in it), and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting.

A friend and I are looking to get into some recreational karting this summer and was wondering if there are any tracks around that we could check out and maybe rent a couple different types. My experience is limited to the slow indoor karts at Speeds and similar places. I LOVED Speeds; probably did their five hour unlimited weeknight racing deal at least 15 times. Usually managed to get lap times in the top 10 of the week/month. Not saying I was fast, but perhaps better than the average joes in there. Ran with a few real karters that spanked my ass by several seconds.

I'll get my Dad in here he is the one to talk to on this. We dove right into shifter karts and never looked back. He also has a shifter kart+spares+trailer packages available right now I believe.

AJ also races them and has purchased a kart off my Dad he may step in and offer some more insight.

Circleville is one of the closest local tracks behind a sunoco station down off 23. You can also run them with the SCCA autocrossing.

I'll get my Dad in here he is the one to talk to on this. We dove right into shifter karts and never looked back. He also has a shifter kart+spares+trailer packages available right now I believe.

AJ also races them and has purchased a kart off my Dad he may step in and offer some more insight.

Circleville is one of the closest local tracks behind a sunoco station down off 23. You can also run them with the SCCA autocrossing.

How much would a package like that cost? I'd like to find something used for $2k or under for now...

Loads of fun on the cheap...

Kart tracks:

Circleville (just north onf town on Rt 23)

Fremont (small sprint track on SE side of town)

New Castle (huge! off I-70 about 45 minutes this side of Indy)

Camden (another small srpint track east of Dayton)

There are also a bunch of dirt ovals and a large paved oval near Cardington, OH. The only one I have driven is Circleville - $15 and sign a waiver to run as long as you like (or can stand).

As to karts:

1) you can go 125cc shifter (or 80cc shifter), the 80cc's have more of a local following if you want to race wheel to wheel and have folks in your class. 125 shifters can get you competitive in SCCA solo if you want to.

2) 125 TAG (Mallard's kart) almost as fast as the shifters, but no gears. Also nice in that it has electric start (TAG=Touch and Go).

3) KT-100 - 100cc yamaha, again, no gears, but lots of classes by age/weight where you can run - slowest choice of the three, but still lots of fun

Just depends on what you want to do. You need to decide if you just want to play-and as such how fast do you want to go? If you want to race (and be competitive) the choices can change a bit.

I do still have a shifter listed for sael, but am having second thoughts - things are working out to where I can probably keep it. I also have an old vintage shifter chassis I still do need to sell - would not be competitive, but would be cheap fun.

PM me if you want to chat about options...

Where are the dirt tracks around here? Ive never seen them but was always interested in dirt carts

Here's a link to "outdoor kart tracks" in Ohio - some are the ones I mentioned - some are dirt...

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/OH/index.html#OutdoorKartTracks

I know there are others around - many run their own little race series like this one in southern Ohio:

http://www.sockseries.com/

it's a ton of fun, trying to get my Kt-100 out to circlevile as soon as i get a chance. as far as picking out a kart i would recommend getting a tag cart, i prefer Rotax engines. I may only have $400 in my Yamaha, but i had to rebuild everything, and they're a much lower build quality, higher maintenance. shifter carts are cool, I've only done a cupple laps but it is more to learn shifting wise but your brain as to work much quicker due the increased speed. As far as I know circlevile only has 4 strokes for rent, they MIGHT be just a little faster than speeds karts, I wouldn't recommend even trying it. My buddy is selling a 07 kart mini w/rotax TAG package, (50mm axle) kart stand, mycron 4 and a bunch of other stuff for $2500 i think. PM if your interested.

Didn't know y'all were into karts. You have one I fit in? lol I haven't drove a real kart since I lived in Cali. Unless you count GT5. And then I golded those with ease! haha