STI, WRX OR EVO.? under 30k newer the better.

Ramsey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely nothing aside from maybe a slightly better interior that the STI has on an Evo. I am not talking about the seats either.

Better mileage, better ride, 07+ has better gearing for around-town, better reliability, better community. I said it was a better all-arounder, not that it was flat out better. The Evo has it's own areas that it excels at. But when's all said and done, there's an STI in my garage and not an Evo. Since he didn't give any specific use for the vehicle other than he wanted it to be fun and drive it year round, the STI covers all the bases better.

Power modding / drag racing primary? Evo 8 or 9

Mid-Ohio primary? Evo X

But if he tracks it sometimes, autox it sometimes, drives it around town a lot, and doesn't want to get utterly raped at the gas pumps, then the STI is what I'm going to recommend every time.

Beat ass evo 8 or 9 for 12,000ish. Cams, bsek, timing belt, head studs, cometic gasket, mbc, 880's, reflash + 1 weeks work <$1,500. Add a clutch for another $500 in the same time frame. Way under your budget and looks better than an X.

This is if you meant under $30,000. I didn't know if it was price or miles.

Edited by KentStateTsi

Are you seriously quoting MPG figures ?

Subaru's MPG figures are atrocious....and any article will put the nod to the EVO for MPG, not that anyone gives a shit cross shopping those 2 cars.

I didn't see any quoted figures in my post or this thread. But Evos make Subarus look like economy cars.

I didn't see any quoted figures in my post or this thread. But Evos make Subarus look like economy cars.

Reference

EVO

Fuel Consumption

EPA fuel economy (mpg) 19 City 25 Highway

Edmunds observed (mpg) 20.5

Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.) 14

STI

Fuel Consumption

EPA fuel economy (mpg) 18 City 24 Highway

Edmunds observed (mpg) 18.4

Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.) 15.9

Reference

EVO

Fuel Consumption

EPA fuel economy (mpg) 19 City 25 Highway

Edmunds observed (mpg) 20.5

Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.) 14

STI

Fuel Consumption

EPA fuel economy (mpg) 18 City 24 Highway

Edmunds observed (mpg) 18.4

Fuel tank capacity (U.S. gal.) 15.9

I'm surprised, because every review of the Evo always makes a point to mention the poor mileage and the common stops for gas, whereas mileage isn't mentioned all that much in Subaru reviews. I've personally seen averages of 20mpg on mostly city driving and 27mph on a highway tank.

*shrug* It doesn't really matter. I still say the STI is the best Jack-of-all-Trades.

It doesn't matter the year. Those STi motors are glass. Ask me how I know.

On the side note I loved my 08 STi

not when properly tuned they will hold 400awhp just fine. Much more and they tend to crack ring lands.

I would get an 07 STi mainly because the longer gearing.

Stock for Stock thought the evo will make more power on the stock turbo though. I just dislike the lack of tq.

If you buy the 08+ impreza WRX or STi, be sure to find the kicker 10" subwoofer part, Subaru just inked a deal with them to supply an OEM sub for 08+ in Febuary 2011. It's plug and play, and easy as hell to install. The harness has a filter that removes all the low end from the door speakers. I bought it and it takes the stock radio from blah to awesome. Amazing the difference.

http://gallery.me.com/bbotte/100036/IMG_0818.jpg?derivative=mmedium&source=web.jpg

If you buy the 08+ impreza WRX or STi, be sure to find the kicker 10" subwoofer part, Subaru just inked a deal with them to supply an OEM sub for 08+ in Febuary 2011. It's plug and play, and easy as hell to install. The harness has a filter that removes all the low end from the door speakers. I bought it and it takes the stock radio from blah to awesome. Amazing the difference.

http://gallery.me.com/bbotte/100036/IMG_0818.jpg?derivative=mmedium&source=web.jpg

How much? Will it fit my base impreza?

I really want one of these, but in the hatch if you put the back seats down it's essentially right in the middle of the floor. WAY better placement on the sedan.

If you're anything like me, you're not gonna see anywhere near those MPGs regardless of which you buy. Look at that empty on-ramp, time to get deep into boost.

quoted for truth, no one buys these cars to putz around town in

:)

real world in my evo, granted its on an aem so all factory fuel savings goodies are gone, and its on 1200cc injectors is still 17-18ish mpgs with no highway crusing, mostly city and 7am--5pm downtown traffic..

How much? Will it fit my base impreza?

Yes every 08+ impreza, except as stated before it's location is different in the hatch.

Online $400 and worth every penny. Make sure you buy the one with the correct harness for your car and radio. I think there are 3 different harnesses.

quoted for truth, no one buys these cars to putz around town in

:)

real world in my evo, granted its on an aem so all factory fuel savings goodies are gone, and its on 1200cc injectors is still 17-18ish mpgs with no highway crusing, mostly city and 7am--5pm downtown traffic..

i need to put on my "summer" tires...