overheating

acmebomb

ok so i have a 94 accord. and on the way home today while sitting at a red light i noticed that my car was overheating. i went ahead and made my turn and as i started moving the temp gauge started dropping back to normal?????? what would cause this to overheat while only sitting still. and drop when i start moving? thanks in advance

jeremy

If the t-stat was stuck, you'd overheat at any speed.

Have you had the system open recently?

Not necessarily, In some cooling systems if its open all the time you get too much flow it won't stay in the Rad long enough to bleed off heat. It runs back through the motor and never gets a chance to actually cool off.

thermostat was my first thought. when i got home i left the car running and only 1 fan was running. i thought that was 1 full time and the other runs when the temp gets higher

Turn on the A/C, or Defogger The second fan should come on then.

Not necessarily, In some cooling systems if its open all the time you get too much flow it won't stay in the Rad long enough to bleed off heat. It runs back through the motor and never gets a chance to actually cool off.

I should have said "stuck shut".

With a stuck open stat, at idle speeds at least, I don't think you're going to pump water fast enough to overheat at a light. Seen weirder things though I guess.

Start simple...

Coolant full? Not a big surprise a low system would be "ok" until we jump 20 degrees in a day.

Just for giggles and a piece of mind, make sure your oil still looks like oil. Oh, and I asked if the cap had been off recently making sure you hadn't introduced air into the system.

Pull the cap off with it running at temp, fill till the coolant reaches to bottom of the neck let it run to let out any trapped air. Once it's done put the cap back on take of for a drive and see if it still runs hot. If it does dig a little deeper looking for leaks and bad Stat.

Spray down the fins with water, they may be clogged. If the thermostat was stuck open it would almost never heat up to op temp. Just as well you radiator may be clogged from crushed fins debris or corrosion.