expedition hesitation

SRTurbo04

Our 97 ford expediton with the 5.4 just broke 200k... an now its throwing a code p0171.

"System Too Lean (Bank 1) very similar to code p0174 system too lean (bank 2)"

possible symptoms would be dirty or fault maf or bad o2 sensors..

is there any way to test to see what it is before i start throwing money at this?

Clean the MAF. You can get spray cleaner specifically for the job, but I have used alcohol before with okay results. If it has never been cleaned with miles that high I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's dirty. My last Mustang required a cleaning around 60K.

Edit: here's a decent writeup on the procedure:

http://www.berrysweb.com/clean_your_maf.htm

if its a vac issue, its a rubber elbow on the back of the motor. iirc its a dealership only item due to diff sized inlet and outlet, but if you have rtv, a copper elbow, and the diff size hoses, you can make the part. one hose will slip outside of the copper elbow the other side will slip inside.

If it is only 1 bank with the lean code, its definitely a vacuum leak. if both banks are lean, its probably a leak between the throttlebody and MAF. I just picked up a 99 Expedition with air ride with that same engine and I am in love with it!! These trucks are so nice to drive. 177k on mine and running strong