ABS problem

Richard Cranium

We'll we've hit yet another wall with the 9" swap into Camaro. Maybe she really doesn't want a ford design as part of the drive train. Anyhow, all the new brake lines are fabbed, installed and seem to be ready to go. Tried to bleed the new brake lines with a power bleeder. Front brakes bleed no problem, pedal is nice and stiff, plenty of pressure. Open up the bleeders on the new lines in the rear and nothing is there. As far as we can tell the pressure to the rear lines is being held up at the ABS module. I was getting an ABS light on the dash before we started and we ignored it because ABS is going away on this car. The new rear end does not have the hardware to support ABS, and since it's a good weather/track toy I don't care about ABS.

Does anyone have any ideas why the ABS module would be cutting pressure off from the rear brakes? My understanding is even if you unplug it all, then the valves would still stay open so a car without power would still have brakes. I don't know how the module works, so I'm stumped.

An option we are considering is to remove the ABS module all together and just plumb the brakes straight to the master cylinder. I'm trying to avoid this in the interest of time to get the car ready for the track day next Friday, but it's looking less and less likely that we'll be able to get the problems worked out and get it done.

Oh, car is a 95 Chevy Camaro. OBD1 computer. The only mods to the brake system are new calipers off an LS1 Camaro, line lock, and the new brake lines on the 9" rear end.

I don't recall exactly, but it comes to mind that the earlier abs systems needed to be bled in a weird procedure. But if your using a vacuum bleeder it should do the trick.

Dumping the and module wouldn't be that difficult anyway. For the front, its a line from the M/C to a T for each side. The rear would get an Inline Proportioning valve. Easier said than done, but not impossible.

Okay, I fished back through some stuff. On LT1's the ABS module has two bleeder screws. The front is for the front brakes, rear is for the rear. Since you only opened the rear system, you need to bleed the rear of the module first. After that you can bleed rhe rear as normal. Then all should be good to go.