School me on Peep Sights (Military Guys?)

twistedfocus1647545489

I decided to throw a Tech-Sights rear peep on my SKS-M. I kinda wanted a scope, but most of the mounts are flimsy and this is certainly no long-range weapon. I have a nice bolt-action 30-06 for that.

Anyway, I think I understand the concept but it just seems too simple. I take it you just focus on the front post, put it on target and let the rear ring kinda fuzz out of focus. I haven't fired it yet but it seems like I almost instinctively center the front sight ring pretty dead center in the rear peep without trying. Is that really all there is to it? Any tips on how to more effectively use this sight? It just seems like a very imprecise way to aim but I haven't actually tried it yet.

They use peeps on all kinds of weapons these days so I'm sure it's good enough for the SKS. I'm just a newb to this kind of sight.

OK. What you posted above is in the right direction. Clear tip, blurry black is a good phrase to remember. Clear tip being the front sight post. Blurry black being the target. This sighting system is not going to be, the "shot the wings off a fly at 100 yards". That's why the military uses it. They teach shooting center mass. From there, your sight picture, sight alinement, and shooting fundamentals become the challenge of being a good shot with those sight.

Keep the post in the middle of the peep sight. Fire a string of shots, and adjust. Exactly what Joe was stressing, you should atleast get a good zero for the most part. Up and down usually entails, improper breathing. Left and right movement is trigger squeeze. I have the same sights on my M1A, but I have plans for Ghost rings on my Marlin 336 and Remington 870 for that same reason.