my update

ninjachk08

I haven't had time or really thought about it, but I thought I would update everyone on what's going on with the Air Force, since I always get asked.

Well, first off, I don't know if anyone knows, I went to MEPS back at the beginning of Feb. I didn't get to swear in because I had to come back at a later date for an x ray and be seen by a doctor. For the fact that I've had surgery before when I was 5.

I just went back a week ago for the x ray. Doc said I was normal(lol) and I got to sign my contract and swear in!

So, now I have to stay out of trouble and not get hurt(again!) while I wait. I have to meet with my recruiter once a month to "check in" and get my weight.. and for me, I'm almost under weight(for my height), so everyone is telling me to eat! Which I do, all the time!

Whenever the Air Force has events going on this summer, I have to attend. lol. So, I'll be at the Dayton Air Show and other events they hold!(until I leave of course)

As it looks, I don't have a date set to leave yet, but the recruiter and I both think it won't be till August-ish. So, yah me, I'll be in hot San Antonio for 8 weeks in August.. prob. during my bday :(

As of now, my contract is for 4 years, but I think and plan to sign a 6 year contract. It will make me go in as an E-3, instead of E-2. Which, means more money.lol. It will make it "easier" to move to a higher rank down the road sooner.

Don't worry, I plan to be around as much as possible this summer, and I HOPE I will get stationed here at home. I won't find that out though till Tech School.

I'm nervous about Basic, but really excited after that.

**UPDATE**

I found out on April 9th when i'll be leaving. I had to do my monthly check in.. they had JUST found out, so I hadn't been notified till I got there.

I will be leaving on July 21st. I'll be in San Antonio for 8.5 weeks at Lackland AFB. Then, I'll be going to Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX for 13 weeks of Tech School. After that, I'll have 8 weeks of clinicals. I don't know where that will happen. I'm not sure if it will happen at the base i'm stationed at, or if i'll be sent somewhere different before i go to my station.

I booked my second choice, 4NO, which is Medical Service. Basically an aide job.

I've been excited until i found out.lol. now i'm nervous, cuz now it's real..it's setting in.

Just thought i would let everyone know! I'll be able to keep in touch once i get to tech school.

Edited by ninjachk08

Hey - congratulations and thank you for signing up to serve our country!

Navy man here - 6 years of active duty 90-96. Best decision I made in my entire life. Yes I was ready to get out, but that experienced changed my life for the MUCH better.

RE: boot camp - keep your mouth shut, your eyes and ears open. Follow instructions - that's the whole point of boot camp. How can they trust you with multi-million dollar equipment if you can't fold your shirts right?? :) I'm sure you'll do fine.

Nothing to worry about. The hardest part to deal with is the head games. It gets to those most who have never had much discipline in their lives.

Congratulations!

Not a joke. But i thought Boot camp was the easy part.

Congrats Nchic, you'll love it.

I'm about 4.5 years in on my 6 yr contract for the Air Force. It definetly has been the most challenging yet rewarding job I've had but like progrmr, I am ready to get out and move on to other things.

Take time to consider a 4 vs 6 yr contract. Sure the pay may be more because you chose 6, but say you dont like it after 3 years and still have 3 to go...?

Something to consider...

Good luck and thanks for serving our wonderful country!

• 4 weeks later...

Do 6 years....you won't regret it!!! My own opinion is that a job is a job, and the military has the most security now days. Some people hate the air force and say they wished they had never done it, but it is because rules and dicipline are being forced upon them....and there is a lot of political crap too, but you know you just deal with it. The grass is not any greener on the other side, coming from personal experience. So, do 6 years and have fun with it! Good luck and thanks for your service!! BTW, as a medical tech, you may expect to deploy in the field. But, don't worry, you will be fine. The worst part is leaving your family, and you don't have kids, so it is that much easier.